Started the workshop at last

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old.
Thanks for explaining. I was a bit concerned.

Shultzy.
Thanks for the link.
There are so many types of treatment I just get confused. I'll have to get some first thing, before the delivery.

Screws! Driving nails through OSB tends to have the same result as a bullet wound, small entry large exit.

Roy.

Hi Gary

Just saw the drawing of your planned overhang. Are you still planning on doing this?

I'm building the slowest workshop in the world with a similar roof construction to yours and my shed will also (eventually) have an overhang though in my case no more than a foot or so.

I'd be a bit nervous about your design. That's a fair bit of weight to suspend - trusses, ply, and shingles are not exactly lightweight. It'll catch the wind too.

Maybe you could build a smaller one with perhaps just a single suspended truss connected to the gable end truss with noggings rather than sat on an extended wall plate. That would be much stronger and safer arrangement.

Finishing?

What's wrong with good old creosote?

Okay you need eye protection, gloves and a mask maybe, but we all have those. And these days creosote isn't just in 'Nut Brown'...

The odd rose might get a few burned leaves, but you can't make an omelette etc.. Plus, if you do get lax and a bit of moss grows, the next layer of creosote sorts it no problem

And yes, creosote stinks... But not for long. (My feather-board fence has been going strong, for 20 Years.

Regards

John :D

The timber cladding used on my house was cut in 1938, and throwing the annual bucket of Creosote at it is a damned sight easier than pointing brickwork for example.

Roy

For a first coat I would recommend Bituminous paint then Creoste as required. The paint doesn't fade as badly as the creosote either.

Roy

MDF_HAKA":3nzu9wgh said:
Benchwayze":3nzu9wgh said:
Finishing?

What's wrong with good old creosote?

John :D

Tis now a banned substance. Shame really as I loved the smell and nothing beats it for protection.

Is it really?
I didn't know that. I did hear the powers that be had banned Jeye's Fluid, which is a similar product from almost identical sources. However, it's still possible to buy both here.

I don't get it! :lol:

Regards John

Jeye's fluid isn't banned, just its use and as a steriliser for horticultural use.
And I can't tell Creosote substitute from butter, looks the same, smells the same----.

Roy.

Not so! You can still use it as a household disinfectant etc.

Roy.

The world is going crazy!

Just a few minutes ago, I saw an advert on ITV for a 'completely, chemical free, organic plant food'. Am I going mad along with the world?

Plants get their nutriment from chemicals! Organic manure is full of chemicals; isn't it? I get the feeling, I just don't know anything anymore.
](*,)

Thanks for the info on Jeyes Fluid all the same.
Regards
:D
John

Ahh well.. I can still use Jeyes as a disinfectant, when I want to freshen up the front porch. That's good. I hope it doen't kill those ants at the same time though; although it was always pretty ineffective at that.
The chemist won't sell me arsenic either, so gradually my porch is sinking!

That will give me chance to use all that cedarwood I bought for the green house that SWIMBO never let me build!
:D
John

Roy. Thanks for your reply.

I have been offered the use of one of those gas nailguns, which without your reply I would have used. Thank you.

Ken.
The overhang is now only 800mm with one truss and two angled down supports plus noggings. I have had a swing on it and I weigh 15st. It seems strong enough. Time will tell.

Ken said,
I'm building the slowest workshop in the world

If you live anywhere near me, I would be happy to lend a hand.

John.

My neighbor uses creosote substitute on his fences. There is no way that my wife would allow me to use it. hmm, that smells good :whistle:
Also I have already bought Wick's stuff, and wy wife has already started to cover the cladding.
Thanks for your response.

Hi Gary,

I think that's the way to go about it.
If SWIMBO won't let you use it, get her to do the job! :whistle:

My Gawd you should see the things my wife allows me to get away with. But then she's more old-fashioned than me.

Instance, when I landscaped the garden, in the eighties, I was working away during the week. She made all the concrete blocks with this mould I'd bought, and I used to come home at the weekend and build the walls!
She did a good job. The bricks are still there and not one shows any sign of falling apart!

Great Missus I got.

John :)

Latest posts

Back