Starrett combination square head not true

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poodelek

Reaction score
Hi Guys. I believe that I have a problem with my square head. I wonder this is an error within tolerance of is it too much.
I bought my Starrett C435M-300 few months ago but I did not need to use the square head separately until few days ago. I used it for the project to measure 90 degrees. The next day I realised that my project was ruined, it was out of square when I checked it with blade attached, the square head was still showing perfect 90 degrees. I checked the head with the attached blade against my framing square and engineers square, which I know are true, and it was fine (picture 1). It also passed flipping and line marking test as well it proved to be true during my work. However when I check with the same square the head itself there is about 0.2 mm gap at the further end of the long arm of the head (picture 2). It seems to be a significant error especially if you want to use it for tuning your tools.

Am I being to picky or I should really expect more precision from high-end brand? After all the only thing really you expect from the square is to be…square.

Also I need a quick advice as I never used a protractor square before. When the blade is at 0/180 degrees its is parallel to the protractor head base but sticking out about 0.15-0.2 mm (picture 3). Is that OK or should it be flush? Does it actually matter?

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 67
Protractor heads are not flush on my Starrett and Mitutoyo that were made in the late 80's. I don't see what they would be any different now.

Pete

Protractor heads are not flush on my Starrett and Mitutoyo that were made in the late 80's. I don't see what they would be any different now.

Pete
Thanks. It should not affect the angle accuracy anyway. It still goes back to starrett because of the square head

Back