Stanley surform shaper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greybeard

Established Member
Reaction score
Help please, all suggestions welcomed.

I was relieving the fit of my back gate this afternoon, one of those 'one day I must' jobs that finally caught up with me, when I concluded that at last there really is no more mileage in my trusty surform's blade.

And now I dimly recall a few years ago fruitlessly looking for a replacement blade (That's after a present-day fruitless mooch round any possible source this pm of course - the memory tends to single task these days!).

So here's the challenge - I have a venerable surform shaper, model No. 491. I inherited it from my grandfather, so it's possibly a 50's original? Anyhow, it's a narrow edge-wrapped blade, 10 and a quarter inches long, 1 and 5 sixteenths inches wide, and the really tricky bit is the fastening. It's done using recessed (depressed?) holes that fit over pegs that are in the same plane (sorry!) as the blade - one fixed peg and one adjustable.

No retail outlet joy, and a prowl around the Stanley website was similarly fruitless.

Any possible source suggestions would be very gratefully received - after all, with a new blade I reckon it should be good for another 50 years at least!

Hi Paul

Thanks for the thought but sadly they won't/don't fit - it's all to do with the fastening. The current ones have a bent up end that kind of clips into place; the one I'm hoping for is flat at the ends.

Ah yes, the complete tool solution! Spendthrift that I am I did think that I might just scrape the necessary together and splurge!, and it looks like I probably will have to, but I'd like to keep the original if possible......it was my grandfather that first showed me the slippery slope! In fact I still have quite a lot of his tools. Now there was a man who knew a thing or two about edges!, I swear his garden spade could have done a grand job of planing!!

Did you get any further with your search for blades for the 491 Surform - back in 2007?
I've got one and would love to find some old stock somewhere. I suspect it might be a long, possibly fruitless search!

frank

Back