Stanley 13-050 spares

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadders75

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've just had come into my possesion an almost brand new Stanley 13-050, after a little work its now working nicely, its almost a pleasure to use it instead of my Router.

It does however have a small problem, the central bolt, which holds the 2 central parts together has been partially threaded by the previous owner, so its fine to use with wider blades, but the narrower blades are unusable because the screw thread does not grip.

Does anyone know of anywhere where i can get a replacement threaded bar for the fitting, or am i going to have to tap and thread the hole. Or does anyone know which thread type Stanley used.

Many thanks

Richie.

Hmm, you could be out of luck, Richie. Might be worth giving these folks a bell on the off-chance, but a quick glance doesn't hold out much hope. I suppose it's vaguely possible Stanley were using more conventional threads by the time they were making the 13-050, but I don't have one to measure. Maybe someone else...?

Cheers, Alf

Hi Richie.

I'm not familiar with the item you are talking about, but from your description you are talking of either a bolt or stud which has it's thread partially stripped. If so, you could go to your local engineer and they could tell you what thread the bolt is by using a thread gauge. They may even whack a die down a piece of bar for you.

If on the other hand, you are talking about a threaded hole. You may be able to have a helicoil fitted. If not you will have to drill and tap, and then have a piece of bar threaded to fit.

There are compounds that can be used to fill the hole, and then drill and tap to the original size, but I don't know if it would be strong enough.

I hope this makes sense, and is of some help.

If your 13-050 is the same as my 13-052 then the threaded rod is engaged into the main skate, and a plate is fitted over the rear rod and the threaded rod with a nut used to clamp the plate. (poor, poor explanation!)
I think you are saying that the threaded rod is partially stripped of its thread, close to the skate.
Options are:
1. remove the threaded rod and replace, getting a rod threaded by someone with a lathe if its a weird Stanley thread.
2. insert a packing plate between the blade and the plate, so that you can still clamp up the plate and blade to the skate body.
Option 2 is a work around, but the clamping plate doesn't need to be in a particular position, so long as it clamps the blade.

I'd go with option 2, and just get it up and working again.

Not bad planes for cheap, rubbish Stanley era.

Back