Staircase book

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormer1940

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Can anybody recommend a good book on stair building. Have been looking at getting one for a while but not sure which one is the best to go for.

It depends on what you are after. If you've not made any stairs and just need the basics, up to and including stuff like standard kite winders and basic laminated curved strings then the standard C&G texts (e.g. Peter Brett's "Carpentry & Joinery" series) are where you should be going. If you've got a few stairs under your belt then one reasonable text is "Modern Practical Stairbuilding and Handrailing" by George Ellis which is a reprint of of pre-WWII treatise on the subject, however whilst concise, it makes some assumption of prior knowledge on the part of the reader. Not surprising, really, as some of the stuff Ellis deals with are quite complex. For handrail building there is a useful section on forming curve on curve work in Eric Stephenson's "The Spindle Moulder Book" (again Stobart-Davies) and one of the few places I've ever seen the machining of 3D curved stair handrail elements explained. There's also a new book on the market (to me), called "Simplified Guide to Custom Stairbuilding and Tangent Handrailing" by George R diChristina (again by Stobart-Davis), but as I've yet to track down a copy I can't say from my own experience how good it is (although it has had positive reviews - and how much can you trust a reviewer on a subject as technically obscure and complex as this is potentially the issue. BTW I have the other books mentioned in this reply and I have built a few stairs, other than straights, in the past)

Thanks. I know that Stobart-Davies have it in stock, but, I want to be able to look at what's in it before I buy. Call me old fashioned but I'm not keen on spending money on anything sight unseen (too many bad experiences over the years). I've been trying to get a loan copy from the libary, but so far no luck...... The Brett books are what I've been using to show apprentices. I think they're pretty good

You might look at

"Constructing Staircases, Balustrades and Landings" by William Spence and for something a bit more advanced
"Building Stairs" by Taunton's For Pros by Pros. They are both US publications but used in conjunction with UK building code have much useful info.

I've build several staircases including a double winder with double bullnose in solid Oak, and found both these books had useful info - see my pics via footnote below

dejaa":wsqjrzze said:
You might look at

"Constructing Staircases, Balustrades and Landings" by William Spence and for something a bit more advanced
"Building Stairs" by Taunton's For Pros by Pros. They are both US publications but used in conjunction with UK building code have much useful info.

I've build several staircases including a double winder with double bullnose in solid Oak, and found both these books had useful info - see my pics via footnote below

Hi Dejaa

Constructing Staircases, Balustrades and Landings - I found a copy on ebay and won it for £19.00... Hopefully it is in the post now. :D

Back