Stainless steel splashback

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niall Church

Established Member
Reaction score
Any advice on how to install a splashback,have tried tech 7 but didn't work! Would screwing it in be be better?

I used mirror screws with the flat, screw on, matt chrome head caps for a couple of stainless panels we have - looks neat.

I used mirror screws with the flat, screw on, matt chrome head caps for a couple of stainless panels we have - looks neat.
Those screws, how would i screw them into insulation board,28mm plaster stuck to 4"insulation board?

One of the polyurethane type adhesives will do the job. Sikkaflex 522 / 521 would be my choice but there are cheaper brands as well. The downside is once opened they don't keep as moisture sets it off.

https://gbr.sika.com/en/industry/kn...hane-sealants-and-adhesives-for-industry.html

I use it for all sorts of demanding applications e.g. we bonded a large solar panel on to a friend's motorhome roof, just 4 contact points no mechanical fixings and it's been on a good couple of years now at speeds up to 60mph. I also bonded a heavy spoiler on to the boot of my BMW a long time ago and there wasn't any possibility of it ever coming off.

One of the polyurethane type adhesives will do the job. Sikkaflex 522 / 521 would be my choice but there are cheaper brands as well. The downside is once opened they don't keep as moisture sets it off.

https://gbr.sika.com/en/industry/kn...hane-sealants-and-adhesives-for-industry.html

I use it for all sorts of demanding applications e.g. we bonded a large solar panel on to a friend's motorhome roof, just 4 contact points no mechanical fixings and it's been on a good couple of years now at speeds up to 60mph. I also bonded a heavy spoiler on to the boot of my BMW a long time ago and there wasn't any possibility of it ever coming off.

I'm using a silicone adhrsive,with screws as well,as the Tec7 didn't work for me!
You could try fixing timber battons like 2x1 into the plasterboard with mechanical fixings or as above adhesives . Then fix the splash back with screws into the timber battons. I’m assuming this 28 mm plasterboard is insulated — not easy tbh there are of course toggle bolts and those newer fixings -think there called ( grip it )

Edit
GripIt Plasterboard Fixing Kit Assorted (32 Piece)
£16.99
Toolstation

(85)

By Producthero

When I did our splashbacks, I used 10mm mdf backed laminate sheets behind the worktops and 10mm mdf back stainless steel behind the cooker. Standard builders adhesive as mentioned above has worked fine for the last 4 years.

Dave

If you end up drilling stainless steel then go slow with a sharp drill and use plenty of cutting compound otherwise the SS will work harden. I didn't the first time and suffered for my ignorance. The next time it drilled as easily as cheese.
Martin

When you say Tech7 didn't work, which material didn't it stick to?
Well,the plasterboard,I guess,by the time I had applied itto the stainless steel it might have gone off a little,making it less sticky! I'm thinking may be the silicone seallent might uive me more time and it is more moist!

When I did our splashbacks, I used 10mm mdf backed laminate sheets behind the worktops and 10mm mdf back stainless steel behind the cooker. Standard builders adhesive as mentioned above has worked fine for the last 4 years.

Dave
I'm just using the thin sheet of stainless steel! Is the mdf stuck to the SS?

I assume the SS splash back is supported at the bottom off the worktop, in that case any glue/silicone will work as its only holding the splash back against the wall, no shear involved, I used "No more nails"

I quite often have to stick Stainless Steel splashbacks up and tend to use Silicone Sealant as an adhesive to do so.
I always clean the back with Denatured Alcohol beforehand and clean & scuff the wall surface.......This ensures good adhesion! 👍

Well,the plasterboard,I guess,by the time I had applied itto the stainless steel it might have gone off a little,making it less sticky! I'm thinking may be the silicone seallent might uive me more time and it is more moist!
That's what I expected. Tech7 should stick well to the SS. I'm surprised that it didn't stick to bare plasterboard, but if you had allowed the Tech7 to dry a bit and maybe the plasterboard a bit dusty, it's potentially not a good combination. Also, if Tech7 wasn't a fresh tube it can begin to lose its initial stickiness.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back