Srhed power problem !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joesoap

Established Member
Reaction score
My old shed is wired according to regs re buried armoured cable from
rccb at consumer unit all carried out by a sparks .
I now have another shed standing two feet away from this and I want to wire it up as already fed up with trailing cable and extensions .
Now I am aware of taking a spur from a spurred socket is not recommended , deemed to be unsafe but my first question is why is it unsafe and what is the risk in practical terms ? As I will only be using just one socket at any given time is that sufficiently safe as only myself will be involved so no question of overloading . One twin socket , one light and switch is all I intend fitting . A word or two from the experienced would be appreciated , got the materials can't afford a sparks atm .Cheers !

joesoap":3p3utyo6 said:
My old shed is wired according to regs re buried armoured cable from
rccb at consumer unit all carried out by a sparks .
I now have another shed standing two feet away from this and I want to wire it up as already fed up with trailing cable and extensions .
Now I am aware of taking a spur from a spurred socket is not recommended , deemed to be unsafe but my first question is why is it unsafe and what is the risk in practical terms ? As I will only be using just one socket at any given time is that sufficiently safe as only myself will be involved so no question of overloading . One twin socket , one light and switch is all I intend fitting . A word or two from the experienced would be appreciated , got the materials can't afford a sparks atm .Cheers !

IIRC you can have a spur from a spur (after all, it's just a load of extension cables!) but don't quote me. Do you have a spare way in your consumer unit? That would be the best route to take.

What have you got in your shed at the moment ? i.e. is there a garage consumer unit ? If you have a lights as well as sockets,how is the incoming power split ?
You are correct that you shouldn't have a spur off a spur (unless via an FCU) - but if your power is coming from a seperate MCB or RCBO in the fuse box,then effectively what you have got is a radial circuit (uses less wire than a ring circuit,but also has a lower current carrying capacity e.g. 2.5mm cable radial,normally 16A;2.5mm cable ring,normally 32A)
I wired my workshop,prior to Part P being introduced (by a week..) - SWA buried cable provides power from the house to the garage CU,1 x 6a lighting circuit,1 x 16A radial - have 10 double sockets on it (because I hate having to plug and unplug stuff to be able to use it :evil: ) but same situation as you,as the only user of it,so never have enough on at one time to overload anything.

Andrew

That is what I was hoping to hear and I will go ahead with it , most encouraging and no niggling safety doubts , great . As for existing power , lights the iirc with gland is in to a twin socket with 2. 5 cable taken to another twin . Lighting is one batten holder which I have changed , ie removed bulb and connected one 5' fluorescent to same . I intend to spur from the last socket mentioned with 2.5 and from the fcu with 1.5 for the light and from the batten holder for the light switch , or should the latter be the other way round .
Please let know if any of the above sounds dodgy at all and thanks to Power Tool and Roger S for advice . My weekend is off to a good start , Cheers !

RogerS":2tofr0sr said:
IIRC you can have a spur from a spur (after all, it's just a load of extension cables!) but don't quote me.

I just have, oops.

And they gave you a Part P certificate?

If it's a radial, it's OK, but then it's not a spur.

Hi There
Well whatever it is the job is done and dusted . A couple of wee hitches was blowing the 3amp fuse in the fcu as I had wrong wired the switch to the new 6' tube .
So thanks for the help lads , a few words in the right direction can go a long way to making a dreaded chore enjoyable . Right too if I may say so . Cheers !

Latest posts

Back