Square Hole For Clock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HantsHog

Established Member
Reaction score
I am making some wall clocks out of 16mm slatted wood and need to cut a square hole for the movement mechanism to fit inside. The hole is about 2". Currently, I use a cheap (Lucas £15) handheld power jig saw but the problem is that on one side the edges of the hole are straight but on the other they a wonky. I think this is due to the blade flexing out of the holder.

I'm happy to get a better make of jig saw such as DeWalt or Bosch or do I need some other type of tool? I need to cut the hole fairly quickly. A morticer seems over the top and a scroll saw a bit slow and cumbersome not to mention the depth of throat needed (over 24").

Thanks

router and a small home made template/jig (slightly bigger square in an off cut) like doing a cutout for a sink in a kitchen worktop only a lot smaller. Simples :)

I use a router and jig for this operation although I don't cut all the way through, just deep enough for the moment to not protude the back.

I'm making the exact jig for a router this weekend... shall I make 2 and post you one?

Lee J":b0xz2bkp said:
I'm making the exact jig for a router this weekend... shall I make 2 and post you one?

Oooh yes please. I'll PM you my details thanks. I've only ever used router twice so this shall be fun. Would I need anything else special for the router?

HantsHog":198k4w7l said:
Lee J":198k4w7l said:

Oooh yes please. I'll PM you my details thanks. I've only ever used router twice so this shall be fun. Would I need anything else special for the router?

I'll make the template to be used with a guide in the bottom of the router base, then you can use which ever cutter you have.

I use a strong double sided tape to fix the template to the workpiece, no screws or clamps needed.

Lee J":27dvv7g2 said:
HantsHog":27dvv7g2 said:
Lee J":27dvv7g2 said:

I'll make the template to be used with a guide in the bottom of the router base, then you can use which ever cutter you have.

I use a strong double sided tape to fix the template to the workpiece, no screws or clamps needed.

Would of thought guide bush and cutter diameter would be critical to the end result?

I've done you the jig, I'll post it off as soon as I can get to the Post Office.

I used a 1 1/4 inch guide bush and a 1/2 inch straight cutter. This is what happened...

20131208_140023.jpg

20131208_135940.jpg

Lovely fit and the rounded corners look good too...

20131208_135957.jpg

20131201_112905.jpg

Latest posts

Back