spyware

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymar

Established Member
Reaction score
My downloading has suddenly increased by an enormous amount. My ISP says it may be spyware, I ran Search and destroy and that removed some problems but not the one causing the internet usage. Any ideas?

Hi Jaymar, sorry that I cannot help but I do not know much about pc's or the internet. There is one question you can help me with though, How do you know that your downloading has increased?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike. my ISP has a usage tool which alllows me to check and also warns me when I reach 50% of my monthly allowance. The email came after only 6 days , usage was more than my usual monthly usage.

Hi Jaymar, many thanks for the info :wink: Lets hope that someone will come along and help you cure your problem.

Cheers

Mike

jaymar, have a search for a little app. called Net Meter, it's free http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/

Runs as a little window on the desktop when you are on line and shows traffic in real time. it also creates logs to show usage on your machine.

A couple of points.

Have you been watching any TV downloads or Internet video feeds some of them are quite heavy on bandwidth.

Do you have a wireless connection? if so do you have a secure password or the default. I.E. is someone else local to you using your account.

jaymar":lyb230eh said:
My downloading has suddenly increased by an enormous amount. My ISP says it may be spyware, I ran Search and destroy and that removed some problems but not the one causing the internet usage. Any ideas?

Google for HijackThis - run it and post the log file text up. There's isn't any sensitive stuff in there - it will just tell us what processes are running and what is set to start at boot up.

Have you tried Spybot and Adaware. Both free downloads. My daughter caught a couple of trogans and the IT dept could not get rid, popups had taken over. Rather than a complete format, I was advised to try the above. They are very good. They catch whatever is going.

Thanks guys. I have tried everything suggested and hope to have no more problems

Back