spot the differernce

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a bandsaw and the record BS300 or BS350 looks a possibility, while googling around i find the big brother the BS500

here

but in the USA its evil twin

here

Other than some stickers and the voltage the main difference is £400

yet again we in the UK get ripped off :evil:

Hi Tombo

Yes, its like that, the prices in US are half or less than EU.

Hitachi M12V costs there $ 125 (now on sale), can you get it for that price in UK.

Bosch BTS-10 bench saw costs in EU around 1,000 Euro ($ 1,200) and in US, the same one, renamed to Bosch-4000 and costs less than $ 500 (I had this saw and the owners manual is same one).

I heard, that in US you cannot mark-up more than 15% but I'm not sure.

But then, I don't know what is the average salary in US nor UK.

niki

Hitachi M12V costs there $ 125 (now on sale), can you get it for that price in UK.

Bosch BTS-10 bench saw costs in EU around 1,000 Euro ($ 1,200) and in US, the same one, renamed to Bosch-4000 and costs less than $ 500 (I had this saw and the owners manual is same one).

I heard, that in US you cannot mark-up more than 15% but I'm not sure

We sell the hitachi M12V router for £179 + vat and we would love to be making 15% on power tool sales, but we are far from it.

I do agree that prices in the uk are ridiculous, but it's not the fault of the people selling them.

Matt.

Hi Matt

Im sorry, I did not say that it's the fault of the shops selling those tools, Im sure that it comes from the companies.

But its very interesting how the same tool costs half the price in US, I don't believe that 110V motor, costs half price to manufacture.

But, I noticed, that brand names like Festool or Metabo are not cheaper in US, maybe because they are made in Europe and not like the others which are "made in chaiwan".

niki

Im sorry, I did not say that it's the fault of the shops selling those tools, Im sure that it comes from the companies.

Sorry, wasn't having a go at you, know you didn't mean any harm by your comments.

I can see both sides of the coin, as an enthusiast finding it hard to afford and justify the price of good quality tools and as a supplier finding it hard to make money from power tool sales.

Matt.

Hi Matt

I did not think for a moment that you are "having a go at me", maybe its my English that made you to think so (not my first language).

All the best
niki

Latest posts

Back