Spokeshave advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homeinthecity

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to acquire a better spokeshave to replace a cheap knock-off of a Stanley 151 which is a pain to adjust (never mind keep sharp).

Any advice on what to look for? Happy to buy second-hand and touch it up, just quite a few models out there from Record and Clifton, or a newer Quangsheng, so not sure where to start. Thanks for any pointers in advance.

try another Stanley 151? They are usually perfectly OK.
Records seem slightly better quality somehow but there's not much in it they are simple devices. Although I had to fiddle with my two - a slight countersink needed in the lever caps to keep them in place. About a minutes work!
Sharpening couldn't be easier - freehand - a bit of 2x1" say 6" long, as a handle, with a saw kerf for the blade. Doesn't have to be tight or held in - it stays in place whilst you are pressing down on the stone. And a relief under-cut so it will dip below 30º. About 5 minutes to make.

Last edited:
I like the 51s and 52s. Adjustment is by touch/guess/learning - no screws. BUT it will go around a tighter corner than the 151 series, because the screws don't get in the way. Like driving a sports car in comparison to the 151. Stanley, Record - pretty much the same tool. The Stanley 63X is a nice tool, too. These are described as having been for "manual training," what we in the U.S. used to call "shop class," but the one example I have has the tightest mouth of any spokeshave I own. Round sole, so (a) it takes a while to learn how to balance it on the edge, and (b) best used pulled rather than pushed.

As it happens I have a flat bottom stanley and a round bottom record. Quality of them is about the same. Both needed a bit of a tweek to get working right. Fix was as simple as filing the bed so the blade sits without rocking. The beds of both looked like they had either been dipped in the paint or it was spread on with a stick.
Regards
John.

As it happens I have a flat bottom stanley and a round bottom record. Quality of them is about the same. Both needed a bit of a tweek to get working right. Fix was as simple as filing the bed so the blade sits without rocking. The beds of both looked like they had either been dipped in the paint or it was spread on with a stick.
Regards
John.
Sounds good. Not worth paying a million pounds extra for an LN then. :unsure:

I've used a stanley 151 and not felt the need to upgrade since the beginning, also check out the record A64 they are great little things, a bit smaller than the 151. Make sure you get a vintage stanley or record not the modern ones! much better made!

Back