Split in a slice of pine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penny

Established Member
Reaction score
I acquired a slice out of a pine trunk, bark and all. I had no idea at first what I would do with it, but I knew I could do something. The only problem is a split in it.

Now I know what I'm doing with it (A multi sized candle stick base to hold 1 x church candle, 3 x taper candles and 5 nightlights). All the candle sticks will be turned from some mahogany I have also acquired. But what do I do about the split. I don't think the old glue and sawdust mix will work as that will look naff against the different colours of the rings. I saw someone use a resin of some sort. Can anyone help with what to do with it and how to do it?

Clear casting resin is useful for repairing even large cracks to the point where they can be machined. It can also be coloured to deliberately highlight the crack if you like.

Col.

Would it be worth actually enlarging the crack in that case, and add a mahogany colour to the resin to connect with the candlesticks?

I got a small log from a tree who's trunk had grown in the shape of a heart. I cut it into slices and force dried it on top of the radiator till it's moisture content was well under 10 before I even touched it with the resin because as others have already pointed out it would have continued cracking otherwise.
Img_0275.jpg
Img_0271.jpg
Those radial cracks are genuine btw and not enhanced by me in any way. For my project I wanted the cracking to be as severe as possible (one slice actually broke clean in two overnight) but you might prefer to lessen the cracking by drying it a bit more gradually and colouring your resin to match the wood on the candlesticks.

Col.

Attachments

• Img_0275.jpg
    Img_0275.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 94
  • Img_0271.jpg
    Img_0271.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 94
Oh this slice is very dry. It had been sat in a restaurant for 3 years next to a log fire. For some reason it had never been burned. I had seen it for a couple of years and asked if I could have it. It cost me a donation to the Poppy Appeal, which I support anyway as a Veteran.

Back