Spirit level ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cant believe there are all these replies and no one has mentioned the proper way to check a spirit level well here goes (for those who don't know).........

Place the level either vertical or horizontal (depending on what bubble maybe out) on a flat wall, set it so the bubble is dead centre now draw a pencil line along the length of the level. Now flip the level end to end set it on the pencil line and bubble centred again now if the line is still touching the level all the way along its spot on. If its not touching all the way then the distance it is away from the line at one end is double the distance that your level is out by.

EdSutton":2n23h2e4 said:
Definitely Stabila - go for the die-cast ones rather than the extruded if you can afford it as I reckon theyre more durable.
Die cast only go up to 1200mm long which is NBG for setting a door casing - for that you need an 1800mm level. Simllarly you need a 600mm level for checking the head of the casing and there you'll find the cast ones can rapidly become very very heavy. Cast ally levels are for brickies and other dingbats who haven't yet learned to treat levels with respect :roll:

As for sizes 6ft and 2ft are normally required for door frames, etc with 4ft and 2ft for counters, kitchens, built-in fiurniture, etc. Magnetic levels like the Stanley Fat Max XL Pros a workmate has can be really useful if putting-in false ceilings and metal lath for stud walling. Work for RSJs as well and they look to be good quality and excellent value over the Stabila offerings.

Remember that the other reason for having a 6ft level is that it makes an excellent straight edge, plasterboard cutting line, etc.

TrimTheKing":2n23h2e4 said:
In the better ones can you manipulate the bubble position to calibrate them?
In the better ones you don't have to........

chippy1970":2n23h2e4 said:
I was always taught to put my work in right and ignore the fact that someone elses work ie Bricklayer/plasterer is out.
For furnishings and shelves, yes. For signs, no. There's nothing more disconcerting than putting down something like a a Rolo and having it roll off the shelf (or whatever it is you are installing)

chippy1970":3ug418on said:
I cant believe there are all these replies and no one has mentioned the proper way to check a spirit level well here goes (for those who don't know).........

You missed the pictures on page 2 ??? :)

niki

Niki":e5x2tbg3 said:
chippy1970":e5x2tbg3 said:

niki

Niki,
I think Chippy is drinking what Steve is drinking

DaveL":2ahly4fp said:
I don't know anywhere that stocks bubble oil, but you can buy a new bubble here, scroll down almost to the bottom of the page. 8)

thanks for that link Dave - I've been telling relatives for ages that you can buy tartan paint on the internet but couldnt remember where! I also need one of those reversing drills to fill holes back in.

Dave

I'll vouch for Stabilo Levels too though for very short ones as long as the base is flat and the bubble level then it will do.

I use levels for a lot of engineering work too as the accuracy of a good one is excellent. The method I use to check is to lay the level on a surface and rever to check the bubble position as has already been described. I will check before each job in case the level has been damaged.

My Dad has been in the building game for decades using good levels that he took for granted. A couple of years ago he bought a level from Aldi and installed some radiators in his house. The level was out by 20mm over 600mm, he didn't check the level and they all look pi55ed. :lol:

A water level is good too and will go around corners and over/under obsticles. A good accessory for it is a laser to join the dots so to speak.

I also use a plumb line, a proper one with a conical weight that can be laid down to point at/roll around the spot.

The only things I will adjust out of level is when hanging pictures. It has to look right to the wall edges and the wallpaper.

oddsocks":3iyti92y said:
DaveL":3iyti92y said:
I don't know anywhere that stocks bubble oil, but you can buy a new bubble here, scroll down almost to the bottom of the page. 8)

thanks for that link Dave - I've been telling relatives for ages that you can buy tartan paint on the internet but couldnt remember where! I also need one of those reversing drills to fill holes back in.

Dave

I'm still looking for a saw that enables me to cut a bit back on! :(

BradNaylor":33ppsrzh said:
I too can vouch for Stabilo levels - I've got a few in different lengths.

However,

Don't be a slave to a spirit level; more often than not when fitting furniture I ignore them.

Walls are never plumb - floors and ceilings never level. Units fitted absolutely level often look 'wrong' and have to be altered slightly to look right in relation to the existing picture rail etc.

I generally draw a level line in pencil on the wall as a reference but then adjust the unit until my eye tells me that it is 'right'.

People look with their eyes, not a spirit level.

Cheers
Brad

I take it your not responsible for the granite fit in your kitchens then :shock: :shock:

I was using my cheapo 24" Stanley level yesterday while putting some extra c24 timber up to reinforce a wooden lintel, while up the steps I thought I would check the levels of the joists as I have to fit a ceiling soon.
To my horror there seemed to be a run out of 1/4 inch in 24", quick maths said 1.5" run out in 12ft, no cant be!

Got another 30" level and checked it against the 24" one and all seemed the same, until I turned them both upside down :oops:

In all my years I didnt ever come across the fact that most bubbles dont read correctly when inverted.

Why is that I wonder, if its just a glass tube with an air bubble in a liquid, shouldnt it read the same both ways up?

Oldman":86dujmnb said:
In all my years I didnt ever come across the fact that most bubbles dont read correctly when inverted.

Why is that I wonder, if its just a glass tube with an air bubble in a liquid, shouldnt it read the same both ways up?
Because those vails are banana shaped, perhaps?

FatFreddysCat":yo10q1ti said:
Oldman":yo10q1ti said:

Because those vails are banana shaped, perhaps?

Well I have never broken one and cant see a bend on any of mine, it took me 4 pages of google images for spirit level vials before I found some bent ones and they are considered to be for less sensitive applications so im not sure being bent is the answer.

Pics of several types here http://www.leveldevelopments.com/spirit-level-vials.htm

I'll go with the flow - Stabila. I've had one since the 1970s and it's still dead right.

On the other hand I borrowed a B&Q level the othr day, and with a little patience, turning it this way and that and choosing the right bubble, I found I could prove that almost anything was level or vertical

I've got a 3' Danish solid teak level which I got in the 70's which is very nice...none of this nasty aluminiumining stuff. Don't know if it's level though, 'spose I'll have to go and have a measure later on - Rob

I ordered and fitted the upgrade to the square bubble, much easier to read it against the line than the round bubble.

Heres a tip:

If you are working where the light is not so good, say an alcove for shelves, and its hard to properly see the bubble, place a sheet of white paper or card behind it, makes an amazing difference.

woodbloke":d4xxz1mp said:
..none of this nasty aluminiumining stuff.

Daft, intentionally so I assume. It's a much better material for the job. Is your Landy made of wood?

DaveL":2pyzkoie said:
Tony Spear":2pyzkoie said:
I didn't know you could still buy bubble oil!

I sense plaigarism - there may be a possibility that the imaginary toolstore has borrowed these terms and conditions from rutlands :D

Delivery Schedule We ignore your order right away. We will normally fail to send your order to you same day. International orders are generally lost in under 7 days.

Back Orders If your item is not in stock, we will not order for you. You will never be e-mailed with the option to cancel your order if you would rather not wait.

Niki":2lzqrocz said:
chippy1970":2lzqrocz said:

niki

I didnt miss those pictures niki if you read my version that i was taught its actually different read it again.

Back