Spindle or router tooling

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeddedhed

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been searching through my catalogues trying to find a cutter set for producing panel doors that have an Ovolo or Ogee style mould and that can be used on 18mm MDF (Rails and Stiles) with 6mm MDF for the panels. Preferably for the spindle Moulder. Ideally I'm looking for the type where the profile and scribe are all on one cutter and it just requires the height changing.

Is it me or is it that for some reason manufacturers don't produce these for standard UK board thicknesses? (It's probably me and I'm not very good at searching)

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful as it would make life much easier.

Pete

cerdeira":lyl3a2n9 said:
is this suitable?
http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Onl ... __554.html

NB it is a 5.5mm thick cutter but if you have a whitehill block it can accept cutters from 4mm to 6 mm thick

Thanks for that but that particular cutter is no use for 18mm boards. The fat end of the Ogee is wider than 6mm - I think it's about 9 or 10mm.

Hello Pete,

I haven't combed through the cutter lists for this particular item but I do note that as fielded panel cabinet doors are dropping out of fashion there now seems to be less and less of them listed. I can remember ten or twenty years ago retailers would have pages and pages of every imaginable panel design.

But more specifically to your question, there's normally enough slack in the cutter system to bridge metric and imperial, it's normally just a matter of making the door section behind the rebate a bit thinner or a bit thicker.

Good luck.

I've just done a quickie CAD drawing of what I mean. Can anyone see a fundamental flaw in what I've drawn?

Screenshot 2015-11-19 20.06.50.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-11-19 20.06.50.png
    Screenshot 2015-11-19 20.06.50.png
    46.8 KB · Views: 103
You could ask Whitehill if they can make them to your spec, I regularly have "specials" made, not cheap mind.

My set for the spindle moulder has two separate narrow cutters with soldered blades. Then I can stack any number of washers between the two cutters on the spindle to make them work for various thicknesses.

I got a pair of custom cutters and limiters to match a moulding in HSS made for £100.

Pete

Zeddedhed":2j7u44d9 said:
I've just done a quickie CAD drawing of what I mean. Can anyone see a fundamental flaw in what I've drawn?

It just happens that I've been looking out a pair of CMT,40mmx 4mm cutters on scosarge site and have seen quite possibly the very thing you have drawn.
They also do similar in 50mm cutters.
The cutters are shown on Fleabay and their own site, and a very good price too, I see.
HTH Regards Rodders

Back