Spindle Moulder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark, I recently bought the charnwood W030 package (see a different place for build thread) with the intention of doing the same thing. I'm booked on the one day axminster SM skills centre course at the beginning of April to learn how to use the tool and then will be making my own window frames. I think they all will do it, but the smaller machines will use a lot more time in setting up and changing and may required some cuts to be in stages.

Look at the trend brochure that is specifically for window framing and it needs a 7KW SM and about £4000 of tooling - but the benefit of that is the spindle height and fence are set just once then all cutter blocks swapped for each operation.

Dave

Dave, I had a look at the trend system looks good, a bit too much for what I would need, have you bought any cutters for making windows or did any come with the package you bought?

It would be interesting to see how you get on with the course at Axminster, how much did it cost?

chippy mark":18qc7ry2 said:
Has anyone experience with these smaller machines?
I bought that machine when I first wanted a SM. It lasted a week. There were two problems with it. The very small footprint meant that it had a tendency to tip when using longer lengths of timber. The supplied sliding table was not in the same plane as the main table and there was no adjustment for it.

I sent it back and I bought a Scheppach HF3000 instead. It was a lot more money, but it works properly. It's for sale if you want to consider S/H. It's seen very little use.

Cheers
Steve

chippy mark":6rvqywd3 said:
Dave, I had a look at the trend system looks good, a bit too much for what I would need, have you bought any cutters for making windows or did any come with the package you bought?

It would be interesting to see how you get on with the course at Axminster, how much did it cost?

Mark, I've not bought anything extra (yet) other than a book and dvd. The pack has come with a rebate cutter and block with 7 cutters (from memory profiles 01 to 07). I need to make 13 windows so may buy the wealdon Espagnolette groover for £200 if it makes it much easier than other options. I'm thinking about and researching designs but it won't be fussy so i should just need profiles to create the right grooves for seals, drips etc and the frame bevelled edge.

The course is £125 for the day at the Axminster skills center, max 5 students - from their brochure its described as a 'spindle moulder demonstration course with some hands on participation' - basically watch and learn from someone who knows how to use it. Go the axminster web site and click the skills centre link. The courses seem to fill up within a few days of being posted and they add more (I emailed them last Friday to be told they had just listed the 5th April so I got a place.) The course is aimed at beginners and the instructor shows the making of cabinet door and a section of window frame so I should find out how to do it and what extras I need if any.

chippy mark":29pe5frk said:
I am considering buying a small spindle moulder, something like this http://www.powertooldirect.co.uk/elektr ... 75433.html.
I'm not sure weather this would be suitable for making window profiles, I have used a router in a table for this and it worked ok.
Has anyone experience with these smaller machines?

Thanks

If you are looking at making window frames you will need a significantly bigger spindle moulder than the likes of the one you queried - I believe that model has now been discontinued anyway.

Consider a jet or something heavier, the last thing you want is the machine tipping - If you are doing a large number of frames personally I would also highly recommend the use of a small power feed unit - better results and much safer in use.

IMHO anyway

Roger

Roger, I agree (having experienced this with lightweight tablesaws).
I've just posted a thread with pics of my Charnwood W030. The base stand is just thin metal but I intend to use some of the packing case to fill in the base and bolt through to the wheelbase. This will give a larger footprint and I can also put my salvaged washing machine concrete blocks in there if extra weight is needed.

I think the smaller axi power feed may just be an item I buy whilst on the course as all students get 5% off anything they buy whilst attending.

Dave

Right Spindle Moulders ! Some food for thought from someone who knows !
First things first ,three phase or single phase ?
Then check the height of the rise and fall . To achive a good finish you need to get the block as close to the bearings as poss .
Check the bed rings ,are the big enough to accept the largest diameter toolong you are likely to use .
Spindle bed size ,big is best .
Guards ,check for easy adjustment ,are they cheap and 'plastic .
Does the spindle have a tilt adjustment ,if so make sure it is lockable .
Fences ,Massively overlooked . in order to achieve great results a spindle is always better with a false fence nailed or screwed on .Regulation 33 ,provision of false fences .
If you get a decent size bed then drill and thread extra holes for front pressure fences and back fences .
Powerfeed ,Everyone/manufacturers always put the powerfeed on the outfeed side NO ! In feed side ,easy to get to and adjust !
Check for reverse rotation ,very handy for back cutting on difficult timbers .
Locking nut for collars ,I'm not a great lover of threaded bolts in the shaft .
I could go on and on but i wont !

Now what makes to go for . I would check out a used machinery firm . If you want the real deal which will last a life time and have the ability to do everything then go for a Wadkin,SCM or Sedgwick . Dont be put off by the fact that they are very industrial machines ,yes they look daunting but once you get the feel for it and confidence grows it will become the size of a router table .

I hope these pointers help , i dare say someone will 'shoot' me down . If they do at least you have plenty of ideas to think about !

Guggs, not sure what happened to my response post from last night....my research was much along the lines you suggested, but I did not include 3 phase and also limited the budget to £1000. Main factors for me after that was 13A feed, largest rise and fall, biggest tool diameter and speeds to take the panel cutting router set I have - the charnwood won against all the others for sale at the time (i also took into account the woodworking mag and forum reviews). If i end up deciding I need a bigger /better system (I'm only DIY out of a garage) I figure I can sell and recover a reasonable part of the original cost.

Thanks for the info on the power feed, I assumed that they always would be on the infeed side but had never looked at any pics in to check that.

Definitely no shots fired from me :)

Latest posts

Back