Spindle moulder, you don’t have to be limited by 100mm cutter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabinetman

Established Member
Reaction score
I had to produce this shape which was 140 mm across and wood was 155 this allowed me to keep the two pieces on the edges which kept the wood the correct distance away from the cutter at all times. I put the wood through using the 100 mil cutters first and then turned it upside down and reversed with the smaller cutter the two cuts overlapped by a millimetre or so and any irregularity I can just fettle off with a plane afterwards. I suppose in theory it’s possible to do a moulding 200 mm across. Ian
C6ADB46E-B072-43C0-B387-9FAEB6440EE3.jpeg
DFC63BE3-48B5-4696-832A-9DC94C7CCA98.jpeg
D4B63954-6DC0-4178-93BC-4395AAC4CF80.jpeg
AA951E91-FF51-4709-BCFD-3B01ABFAD1CC.jpeg
F0D7E70E-0A9C-48C0-88C2-F44927D62C04.jpeg

That shows the advantages of the spindle moulder over the router table very clearly. To produce a concave form I have seen videos where they run the timber over a table saw at an angle but never tried it.

I have a long time ago, in an emergency maybe but the finish is pretty bad and it just doesn’t seem the right thing to do somehow, it’s just using one side of the blade but it’s an interesting experiment in trying to set it up to give the curve you want. Ian

I did this last week for a big cove. cleaned up with a 18 hollow it was extremely straightforward to do tbh.

Attachments

• 20210324_155420.jpg
    20210324_155420.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 23
Spectric said:
To produce a concave form I have seen videos where they run the timber over a table saw at an angle but never tried it.

Most who do this have curly teeth and have married their sister. Not the brightest.
I've always assumed that methodology for producing coves on the table saw was essentially desperately inspired lunacy, but I can't say if those that do it have unfortunate teeth and a tendency towards incest and a propensity to marry their siblings. It is true to say that North Americans do have a bit of a tendency to see their table/cabinet saws as infinitely adaptable and a suitable substitute for any other machine specifically designed to accomplish a task, e.g., why use a spindle moulder (shaper) when, with a bit of ingenuity I can adapt my saw to do it?

Incidentally, cabinetman's initial post showed work nicely done. Slainte.

whilst I agree its not great on the saws bearings it's safe re digit retention as your fingers shouldn't be anywhere near the blade. guarding was a simple box.
the cut advances a few mm at at time.
of course the wardrobes for my wife. who's also my sister!

The Robinson ETE has a fence that swivels for doing cove work, and that was still being made in the 8O's

that was 40 years ago. unguarded spindle moulders, unbraked machines, unlimited cutters, french cutters, blocks without safety pins, no safety switch flips on feed in machines, split rollers on thickenessers all fine back in the 80's to name a few.

Last edited:
seriously if it was suitably guarded I doubt the hse would object to cove cutting using a circular saw.
it's obvious the difference between a Woodchipper and a lawnmower is in essence the guarding.

Youve just given me a ridiculously good idea..... are any of you guys good with patents????:unsure:

in the same way that the thousands of posts concerning the lethal nature of dado blades has proven to be complete hokum. suitable guarding.

Latest posts

Back