Spindle Moulder Book

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Offcut

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello..
I have had a search on the forum but I cant find any recommendations for a good practical book on the use of a spindle moulder. Anyone bought one recently that they could recommend?

Thanks
Andy

Andy,

try Spindle Moulder Handbook,by Eric Stephenson (ISBN 978-0-85442-150-3).

Hope that helps.

Mark.

I've got one called The Shaper Book, by Lonnie Bird. In case you can't tell from the title, it is "American" so, you'll have to adjust to them calling certain parts by other names... :roll: :wink: All I can say is that it's probably about as good as it could be. I don't have a lot of experience with using spindle moulders so, I'm not sure whether my full opinion would be valid, here... His bandsaw book, however, is very well regarded around these parts. :)

If my memory serves me right, there was actually a book on this subject produced by a British author a couple of years ago... It came out right after I bought the Bird one! :D

Hope this helps! :)

Coincidentally a package from Amazon UK containing both of those books dropped through my letterbox today - they were the two obvious choices that came up when i went looking too. I've a Hammer F3 arriving next week, and have never used a spindle moulder.....

A quick look suggests that while they cover quite similar territory the Stephenson book (possibly the British author you are thinking of OPJ) is quite a lot more detailed, and covers the technical issues in considerable depth. It looks like a bit of a mine of hard and detailed information. The focus is European with a Felder and professional/industry machine flavour, and it was published/updated in 2007.

The HSE seem to have had an input too with recent safety legislation in mind - it's likely that his set-ups etc. should comply.

The Lonnie Bird book is less detailed but more descriptive, was written about ten years ago and is as already said very much in the US idiom - lots of cutter heads with brazed inserts and so on, and based around the typical US DIY/lower end professional 'spindle in a square cast iron table' machines.

There's probably more on safety and general considerations to bear in mind when operating the machine in the Bird book (in the US context at least), but that's only a first impression.

Both look very much worth having, although there's probably a fair bit of overlap...

I have been searching for good literature on the same subject. I have to say that the Eric Stephenson book is not a great practical guide or a 'getting started with' type book. I would be happy to lend it to you if you want to PM your address and then send it back.

To broaden the subject, I have been looking for courses on spindle moulder operation, getting the best out of the machine, safety etc. has anyone come across a good one or two day course?

Have you tried Chichester College? I sent an employee there on a safety course and he seemed impressed.

Thanks for your replys and your offers to lend me your books - very kind. I think I might buy a copy for myself so I can doodle notes on it.

Interested to see if anyone else has been on a course that might be worth while.

Andy

Latest posts

Back