Spice Cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobscarle

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is my latest creation, a Spice Cabinet for the kitchen. Fed up of small racks and boxes in cupboards, my wife decided we needed something a little larger to keep herbs and spices in. Looking through "The Essential Pine Book" we noticed a cabinet that we both liked. This is based upon that. I changed the design slightly and added glass in the doors.

The cabinet is made from alder (the last of my stock :cry: ) and finished with Chestnut Lemon Oil. Its only now that I remember WIP pictures. Sorry :oops: I did not take any.
spice2.jpg

spice1.jpg

I am very pleased with the doors. They were constructed using mortice and tenon joints. My drill press broke whilst I was setting up for the project so, after taking advice from the technical dept, I bought a morticer from Axminster. This makes cutting accurate mortices a doddle.

The tenons were a different matter. I tried to use the table saw, but an unguarded blade scared me silly. Eventually I decided to build a simple jig for the router. It consists of 2 pieces of ash for the sides, a plywood base (so I can clamp it to the bench) and 2 pieces of plywood for the top. I made a small stop block from a piece of scrap ash. The router gets fitted with a collar and a 12mm straight cutting bit.

jig1.jpg

jig2.jpg

Hope you like the cabinet.

Bob

I really like it. Nice design, Nice build, nice timber, nice finish... good all around, well done =D>

I MUST remember this jig for my next tenons... so simple and so effective!!!!!!!! :roll:

It definitely looks lonely; and whilst you're making some more, remember those of us who could give good homes to a couple of lovely cabinets like those.

;)

Gill

Very nice indeed, the timber looks just right for the job! Did you get the glass bevelled specially for the cabinet?

Bob

Thank you all for your kind comments.

GCR....The glass was bought specifically for the project from a local supplier. They got it in bevelled for me.

Pictures can be deceptive. The cabinet sits on a wall with a microwave to one side and some shelves to the other. So I hope it is not too lonely, but I might make another just in case.

Bob

The first time I tried to cut tennons on the table saw, I was scared silly by the whirling blade of dismemberment spinning away without a guard, so I used some 24" long bar-clamps to hold my not-very-good tennoning jig as it moved past the blades. I survived in-tact, but might not have done so if I'd actually been holding my rather-shoddy tennoning jig in my hands rather than standing 2 feet away.

Once I'd done my first set of tennons that way, I threw away my jig and swore I'd do it safer next time. (In fact, I've decided that I'll always have some-kind of guard over the top of the blade when I'm working at the saw - I worry about tripping, stumbling and mostly about my own stupidity.

Your router tennoning jig looks beautifully simple - I'll remember that for next time.

Nice work on the spice cupboard - Is the glass etched, or is that just a trick of the light? - I like it all apart from the hinges.

Cheers,

Fecn

Bob,

Nice looking cabinet. :D

bobscarle":1xmpiozi said:
The glass was bought specifically for the project from a local supplier. They got it in bevelled for me.

Would you mind giving an idea of the cost? I am looking at making a cabinet with a glass panel in the door and yours looks so good with the bevel I am tempted to use the same style.

Dave

The glass is 6mm with a 30mm bevel all round. The size is 430 x 190. The cost was £20 for the two pieces.

Bob

Latest posts

Back