Spectacle lens scratches

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickWelford

So many tools, so little to show
Reaction score
A question for Byron, but posted here as I thought other members might be interested.

Byron, my spare specs with plastic varifocal lenses have quite a few scratches on them - is it possible to polish them out with some ultra fine rouge or similar? WOuld it change the prescription at all?

Hope you don't mind the call on your expertise.....

Hi Nick

Unfortunatly, there is nothing that can be done with scratches on a lens. Your correct in the thinking that any change at all to either the front or back surface of the lens would greatly change the refraction properties and hence the 'perscription'.

Let me know what lenses you have and i'll see what the best price I can get for you (because we are a large lab we get healthy discounts direct from the manufacturer).

Hello Nick.
I asked the same question to my optician.Nothing could be done,so new lenses.
Just how do they get scratched.I take every care i can but it still looks as though i've had the sander on them.
Paul.J.

I tend to flick any dust and stuff off my lenses with a soft cloth (usually a well-washed handkerchief) before wiping the lenses. Seems to work for me as I haven't had problems with scratches. I believe my lenses have an anti-scratch coating, but I've no idea how effective that is compared with specs that don't have it. For work involving really rough dust (like sanding, drilling masonry or knocking down walls), I tend to wear an old pair and just accept the fact that I can't really see what I am doing :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Anti-scratch coating doesn't work.

All it is, is a dip that we put the lenses into, and this provides a very thin polymer that is supposed to harden the lens surface and protect it, when in practice this is a small difference.

What is mostly does is stop the very fine 'crazing' you sometimes get from prolonged cleaner, anything that is strong enough to actually scratch a lens, will most likely also go through the 'hard coat'

Thanks Byron you've just saved me whatever Specsavers charge for protective coating, just a pity it will be in two years time :cry: Still better late than never.

Phil

Too right!! I won't be paying for anti-scratch again. Thanks Byron. My good lady always said it was a waste of money, seems she was right. (Damn......got to live that one down now) THANKS BYRON!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
My varifocal lenses are scratched now so it looks like replacements before long. Ahh the joys of adult-hood.

cheers, sliver.

Byron, I have used a cream (can't remember the name) to clean watch glasses and also cd's which gets rid of marks but not deep scratches, is it any good for glasses?

For anyone who may want to polish scratches out of plastic, try this originally made to get scratches out of aircraft windows.

Bit more info here

Jason

Jason - that would be great for non-optical plastics. But I repeat, do not try this with your prescription glasses as ANY change to the front or back surfaces will alter the refraction properties of the lens and alter your prescription.

Antiglare, also known as Multi-Anti Reflection coating - this will look like a green or purple 'shimmer' on the front surface of the lens and can sometime feel oily to the touch, it also picks up finger prints like billio. However they are good, especially for computer use and night time driving.

If you really want to cut down the glare of say motor-way driving, or fishing on sunny days, you really want a pair of darkly tinted polarised lenses, these are excellent.

Also, while i'm thinking of industry cons, do NOT by 'transition' 'sunsensor' or 'reactalite' lenses if you do a lot of driving, as these DO NOT react behind a car windscreen. For that you'll need a new procuct called 'Drivewear'.

Here endeth the lecture

byron, that was a good lecture, and very knowlagable many thanks. o by the way the workshop is looking fantastic

I found plastic lenses no good at all in dusty environment due to scratches, but glass is OK and my glass lenses are good for several years and have often been cleaned with dusty old handkerchief etc. Only prob was angle grinder sparks so I always wear goggles.

cheers
Jacob

If you wear goggles, then no need for glass lenses. The fact that glass lenses can shatter deems them a complete safety issue, and they can break/shatter surprisngly easy if hit at the right area. There are two other materials worth considering in a workshop environment:

Polycarbonate: lightweight, much stronger than CR39 (lens plastic) and is a similar compound as used on a airoplane windscreens. and

Trivex - all the benefits of polycarb, but even stronger and more resistant to scratching, however they are expensive and not many opticians currently sell these, the industry is notoriously slow in adapting new technology.

I've had my lenses in for over a year with no visible scratches...

rather than wipe or flick the dust off I put them under running water then clean them with a little washing up liquid or anti bacterial liquid soap

I found that my old specs got covered in scratches as I used to fish out a disgusting handkerchief to clean them. I now only use toilet paper or kitchen paper to clean the lenses and I never handle the surface of the paper that's in contact with the lens...so far the new lenses have been scratch free - Rob

Rob, I acutally use a certain brand of bathroom hand paper towels at work, these are the best thing I've found for cleaning lenses. It's also worth noting, that if they are covered in dust (the lenses) give them a quick blow and a spray with lens cleaner (you can get it from most opticians) this will then remove the dust as you clean without grinding it into the lens like it would when you rub them with a hanky/tie/shirt/rag etc..

Latest posts

Back