Sparkly!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Established Member
Reaction score
I have built a monitor stand for a girl at work. She is in marketing and a bit whacky so I thought I'd go for a sparkly finish.

I am thinking of painting it blue with silver glitter.

Can I just paint it blue and then on the last coat of blue sprinkle glitter on? What can I then do to give it a good finish (Spray Laquer?)

Is spray on lacquer not sensible then? I wasn't sure if you were suggesting another option or saying that the lacquer option wasn't valid? I'll take a look at the B&Q option though - any excuse to pop in and look at the tool isle!

At the bodyshop my brother in law has they mix the sparkles/flakes into the first coat of lacquer and then follow it up with a few coats of lacquer to seal.
On another repair job the sparkles were to big to go through the gun so a "puffer" gun was used. I don't know the correct name but it looked like a glass jar with a nozzle fitted to the lid that blew out the glitter/sparkles/flakes when connected to the airline .
This took a load of lacquer to cover to due to the size of the flakes.
Stewie, the old hand, reckons he used to blow them on with a narrow paper cone.

When I was a lad we used to paint our bikes with metal flake paint (it was the 1970's 8) ) out of aerosol cans. The 'sparkle' from the flakes only became evident if the paint was coated with clear lacquer - adding depth. Very blingy.

I guess automotive factors will still stock it or a search through up this.

HTH

Back