Spalted Sycamore bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Jones

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally managed to get some turning done yesterday first time since Dec 08. Unfortunately where I live in a housing association house they don't take to kindly to a garage being used for anything other than for keeping a car in, so my turning days and nights are now few and far between, and we have no space for a shed in the garden :( .

Anyway enough of that, the bowl is around 11" in diameter and 2 1/2" thick finished with a cellulose sanding sealer and 2 coats of clear woodwax 22. I was a bit limited on the design of this bowl as the customer had seen one I had turned last year and wanted one ' like that ', she also wanted spalted beech but I wasn't able to get anything decent locally so went with the sycamore instead.

3675130454_5454469ece.jpg

3675130802_5d29a9e05f.jpg

3675130454_5454469ece.jpg

Comments welcome

Steve :)

Lovely piece of wood, I haven't seen sycamore with that much figuring & colour before, the stuff am turning at the moment is pure white, mind you it only came down 3 days ago.

Lovely simple shape and not that easy to get the bottom flat like that I would imagine.

Only critique I would offer is that would call it a platter :lol:

Pete

Very nice piece of timber, like the shape too, I'm in small garage as well and with all the wood, 2 lathes and everything else I horde its a bit tight so I have to get a bit creative with storage! keep up the good work and don't leave it so long next time :wink:

Thanks for the comments Paul, I always use a mix of J-flex and Abranet before applying the finish.

Must admit Pete I was in two minds, bowl or platter but always thought platters were thinner than that, but quite honestly don't know.

Chris there is no doubt at all unfortunately that if the housing association knew what was in there I would be made to empty it, so I have to be very careful, hence no turning since December, it was between 90 & 95 degrees in there last night with the door pulled down.

Steve

The wood certainly has some character Steve, commiserate on the lack of workshop room it must be very frustrating.

The lack of room or risk of disturbing neighbors is the one thing foremost on my mind when we think of downsizing as must inevitably happen when transport becomes a governing factor.

Latest posts

Back