Sorry folks.. shameless Youtube channel plug ..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the intro is about 3 seconds too long, it's not the visual, it's the way the music rings out on that last note, it could just be a bit snappier. p.s I've composed a lot of music and mix music for a living, editing is extremely important so that people aren't bored, unfortunatley things have gotten a lot worse in the last few years in terms of people not having patience, so you have to cater for that.

No intro should be longer than the Breaking Bad intro...

In fact, if you decide not to change the safety aspects of your videos, you can have Breaking Bad/fingers/wrist/jaw - take your pick!

:)

kidding mate.

Scottdimelow":3n2ulnh7 said:
Hey folks, I've been thinking today and I concede to what you're all telling me. I'm going to install a proper riving knife and even a guard!

You got me thinking as to why I've never used either, and I think it's a mixture of being self-taught and watching a lot of American youtubers who don't use them at all. I always made sure to watch any safety videos though, no excuse of course.

I should be setting a good example if I'm to continue down the YT route, thanks for making me think on :D

As for production, I'm using my DSLR as of today and will hopefully have new lighting soon.

What are your thoughts on the intro? I was thinking of just doing away with it all together.
Top man, I take my hat off to you ! I'm gonna subscribe but hopefully watch them all tomorrow night. I flicked through your domino type machine - There's some good engineering and thought gone into that.
Any more pictures on the camper van?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Cheers mate. It was copied from the Russian bloke who first did it, I just redesigned a bit to improve the slide mechanism. I wanted to do away with the cheap drawer slides he used. It works really well, I'm planning version 2 in my head already :)

No pics yet, although I should have a video showing the side door construction and fitting soon.

I love the idea of making my own camper van just a little scared i might make a proper hash up and end up scrapping the body. What vehicle is it ?
How did you get the domino metal parts cut out ? That looks a daunting challenge in itself.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Steve Maskery":1of61uh2 said:
I don't understand how people make any money at all out of YT. I've never received a penny.
I think you stand more chance if you are into cats.
If you have monetisation turned on you should be getting some ad revenue. Before the new rules kicked in (for minimum sub levels) I made £60 out of one video that got 40k views and a few quid on a few that had 1-3k views.

That surprises me Steve - you had some good stuff on your channel.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

don't do it for the money... last time I checked one of my videos was on something like $16 for 28,000 views, which really isn't much, the money stopped almost immediately after the adpocalpyse happened. Might be worth looking into patreon if you are wanting to make money from it, a lot of youtubers seem to be going that way and there must be a reason for it.

Scott

Forgive me if you’ve already aware of him but I think one the best YouTube woodworkers is Rag n Bone Brown.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVyE_6 ... YGXtUOL5FQ

I like him because he has a modest workshop in a shed, affordable tools (no huge array of Festool gear) and he’s not afraid to show his mistakes.

His vids are trimmed of all fat, get to the point, he explains everything via voiceover and slickly edited.

I’ve watched this guys channel grow over last couple of years, he’s now getting commissions and tool manufacturers now send him tools.

I’d say for any aspiring UK woodworking YouTuber he’s a great person to learn from.

I've been watching a bit of his stuff recently actually, I enjoy it too.

I see mine aimed at a modest budget audience too really. My workshop is huge atm, but it's a lucky temporary thing. I'll be in more modest surroundings soon :(

with ragnbonebrown, I do not like his monotone voice at all, I have wondered if he might be on the autistic spectrum a few times.

OscarG":39n1uins said:
he’s now getting commissions and tool manufacturers now send him tools.

This is where it can sometimes go west for me. I've seen good Youtubers sell their respective souls on some occasions for the price of a few (often cheap) tools. Not always a problem admittedly but it can go horribly wrong.

thetyreman":c3qo92c7 said:
with ragnbonebrown, I do not like his monotone voice at all, I have wondered if he might be on the autistic spectrum a few times.

I've thought the same you know, although I can't say his voice bothers me.

I'm not a fan of the commercial type sponsored video, I wouldn't trust the reviews either. I think if you'reb being given free stuff you'd feel obliged to say nice things about it.

Fun thread, and as ever, I'm late arriving... Lots to chew over here, and too much to quote/reply to all, but this one from the OP...
Scottdimelow":iq58cp58 said:
It is hard for me to take criticism, well meaning as it is. I must try harder :)
Scott, you are going to *love* YouTube when you start getting more views and comments!!

Seriously, most important piece of gear for YouTubers - Rhino skin.

Must confess I had a bit of a giggle at the 'expense' of setting up to shoot video; have to agree with sammy.se - honestly, it's never been cheaper. I shot my first video on my phone, shot & edited my 2nd on my phone. Yes, yes - it shows; but it also shows it can be done, and the most important thing about starting a channel is... to start. The cost of setting up to shoot video is a fraction of say, setting up a workshop, and a tiny fraction of what I spent setting up the photographic studio in my former career ~30 years ago.

Re. earnings on YouTube, the Adsense rates are modest, but it's something - try getting a share of ad revenue from videos posted on Facebook or Instagram. Also, can I just mention that there's an NDA buried in the YouTube agreement that every YouTuber signs up to that precludes the discussion of YouTube earnings, and that your 'partnership' with YouTube can be revoked if you're caught. Yeah, as modest as they are, we wouldn't want to be without those earnings.

FWIW YouTube's monetisation changes from a year ago meant that you need 1000 subscribers and a minimum of 4000 hours of watchtime in the previous 12 months to qualify; this is just a 'minimum payment' level from youtube - any channel with less than 4000 hrs in 12 months their revenue would be so small it isn't worth YouTube's time processing the payment, and the 1000 subscriber minimum helps keep the spammers and scammers down.

I didn't monetise my channel until after the first year, and in the 12 months since then, the combined income from YouTube Adsense, affiliate links, and Patreon support is more than paying my workshop rent; wether it can be wound up to become a viable (if modest) income remains to be seen, and will be my focus for this coming year, as retirement / semi-retirement beckons. We'll see.

Scott, I've sent you a PM with some links to YouTubers I found particularly useful when I was setting up my channel. And also, since it's a shameless plug thread, can I recommend my podcast, Measuring Up (http://www.measuringupopodcast.com) that I do with Andy Maclellan (YouTube's Gosforth Handyman) - always worth a listen.

Cheers Peter

Scottdimelow":4bgxdrho said:
thetyreman":4bgxdrho said:

I've thought the same you know, although I can't say his voice bothers me.

I'm not a fan of the commercial type sponsored video, I wouldn't trust the reviews either. I think if you'reb being given free stuff you'd feel obliged to say nice things about it.
Everyone's a critic. Having chatted with Keith at length (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgR3Gxi2C-g&t=23s) I'm happy to say he's just extremely camera-shy - not a great place to be for a YouTuber - but overcomes this to produce great content, and has a very successful and thriving channel.

Re. commercial sponsorship, and 'free' tools for review, it's a tricky one, but the truth is that you never, ever get provided with tools that are of much use to you, especially if you're already established in the trade as you'll already have bought what you need. I know that Keith Brown has a brand deal with Hitachi/Hikoki that's enabled him to reduce his hours on the day job and concentrate more on YouTube. As these deals go, it's very low key and not at all 'in your face' and he's been totally up-front about it, as I feel you must be with these kind of things.

But the truth is making youtube videos is an incredibly time-consuming process that will either take you away from our day job, or have you working insane hours - or both - and some degree of financial support is essential; wether you do that through ads, sponsorship, patronage, affiliates, merch, or a combination of them all, you'll need something.

Cheers, P

thetyreman":kasfdrku said:

Aw....poor Keith!!

I've seen vids where he shows how he makes his vids; he's not comfortable ad-libbing the voiceover or talking to camera, so all spoken content is read from a prepared script. He's even built some cool tablet based auto-cue system for when he's talking to the camera. That possibly explains his voice sometimes sounding like that.

I can't say it bothers me though.

Torsion box table saw part 2.... Jesus Christ. Just seeing videos like that makes me glad that I got rid of my table saw and switched to 95% hand tool only work.

petermillard":23m25xex said:
But the truth is making youtube videos is an incredibly time-consuming process that will either take you away from our day job, or have you working insane hours - or both - and some degree of financial support is essential; wether you do that through ads, sponsorship, patronage, affiliates, merch, or a combination of them all, you'll need something.

This ^, this is so often overlooked. I've had several conversations with people who have expressed utter vitriol at the idea that Youtubers use Youtube as an income source. Some people are happy to watch Youtube but few understand the work involved in some of the content on there. In some way's and for some it is a full time job creating, editing and managing a channel. Five minutes of video can easily take more than a day to complete in some cases.

Another channel I really like, similar to Keith Brown is Badger Workshop

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSQRZgy9lvGsLrWn6sFHZHw

I posted this as this fella has taken the really brave step of binning his job, buying a house, building a custom workshop and becoming a full time maker/youtuber.

In his own words he's "happy but extremely poor!"

For me he's raised the bar in what can be achieved with a workshop, his has a wood burning stove and a leather armchair! So comfortable you'd never have to leave :mrgreen: (hammer)

OscarG":1ai5tug0 said:

196 uploads over 32 months all specifically aimed and targeted as a maker channel with less than 10k subs? Something is awry there. Doesn't spark my interest but its well made , personable and diverse enough to garner more interest than 9.9k subs over that period IMO. I appreciate this is probably a common issue but seems odd for this channel.

Back