Sorby pro sharpening system

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
transatlantic":1y4aum63 said:
What belts are people using for fast stock removal?

I've recently bought some scrapers that I want to turn into negative rake scrapers (they're quite chunky), and after about 20 minutes using the 60grit Ceramic belts, I was about 30% of the way there, I got bored and retired it for another session. The belt wasn't brand new, but it's seen very little use. To be fair - it is a lot of material to remove, so maybe I am just being impatient?

I don't own a pro edge but do have a wet grinder(Not used for turning tools)I would never think of using that to reshape a tool as it is like you have found out too slow I still have a bench grinder which is great for metal removal and then I would go back to my wet system.
The same would apply to using the pro edge OK for sharpening but for stock removal not so good so worth having both

I have bench grinders with White and Blue wheels and Pro Edge.
I use 60 grit ceramic on the pro edge for profile changes and it's the most aggressive, I'm on my second belt since acquiring the pro edge in 2016.

I have the ProEdge and it has really helped with getting a good finish on tricky things like bowl gouges and a flat bevel on skew chisels and scrapers. I usually finish bowl gouges on the Trizact belt which gives a mirror shiny bevel. It's not always possible to get the full swing for some fingernail bevels though as the badly-placed switch etc. get in the way.

I was wondering if anyone has used the knife-sharpening jigs? They are quite expensive and look a faff to set up but getting a good bevel angle freehand on knives is tricky on this machine.

I think you should shape your tools using a course grinder , Make sure you dont over heat the tool keep dipping it into cold water , Once you have the profile you require then sharpen using the Sorby , I use zircon green belt then the pink ceramic belt

I have the Sorby Pro Edge but not the diamond belt. I understood the reason for using it is that it really only removes minute amounts of steel hence you don’t need to replace your tools as often. Almost like a honing belt.

If I’m reshaping I tend to remove most of the material first with a 4” angle grinder & slitting disc otherwise you can eat through belts.

Latest posts

Back