sorby pro edge belt group buy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davem62

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
would there be any interest for a group buy of belts from BND abrasives,
they have normal good quality ceramic belts around £2.20+ vat and the new 3M Cubitron II belts at £6+vat but much longer lasting and cooler cutting,these are available on site fro 40-80 grit,but they are willing to order in some 120grit if enough interest .They have to buy them in packs of 30 and he's willing to keep some in stock but not that many,

regards david

i am interested. I will have to check my stock for what I need, but I would estimate 60g and 120g standard ceramic- I think it was Norton that I got. 3 or 4 of each.
I am also interested to try some trizact in a coarser grit than I have- equivalent to 240. If nobody else wants trizact, I would have 6 120g equivalent (instead of the ceramic) and 6 240g equivalents, which was the minimum order the last time I got some.

I personally cant see the advantage of a 120g cubitron- shape it with 60, and then use the standard 120g ceramic for a tickle (shouldn't be any heat), and through the grits to where you stop. The only advantage i do see is if you dont use a 60g to start with.

I hope that helps split the costs a bit.

Hi Adidat the prices vary depending on quantity i.e. 12 or 30 belts

sia ceramic 120 grit £2.56 inc vat for 12 // £2.18 x30

sia ceramic 80 grit £3.51 each for 12 £2.99 x30

cubitron II 80 grit belts are £9.38 each // £7.68 x6 // £6.82 each if 15 ordered,they don't stock the 120 grit cubitron but they will get them in if enough interest ,i believe they be similar price to 80 grit maybe slightly cheaper.

If the order is over £65 pounds then postage is free ,i would post on at cost

Marcros how do you find the trizac belts as the site says mainly for polishing and the tech sheet says the grit is al oxide so would have thought the cubitron II in finer grits would be longer lasting and cooler for only slight inc in price i.e. 6 trizac work out at £5.32 each

i found them very good, but I only have the 3 grades that sorby also sell, and have only used them on bench chisels after the 240g. If they are al oxide, they may not be that good for shaping, and the ceramic may be better.

I have the invoice for the last batch that I got at home. I will dig it out tonight.

I'd be in for belts - a couple of ceramics at least. Sounds like a great idea if you have the patience to organise it.

Cheers

Ian

Hello David, I'd be in for some 3M Cubitron, 5 of the 80 grit and 5 of the 120 grit. Please let me know if you get the required numbers to press ahead.

Thanks

ok will leave this going to this weekend then tally up the numbers and finalise the deal with bbd,its just the 120 cubitron belts we need to get a reasonable number
regards david

I may be interested although not sure what I need just yet. I only purchased my ProEdge on Saturday (at Harrogate) and I've broken it already..!

regards

Brian

Yes please!

1 x Cubitron 80 grit
2 x ceramic 120 grit

...and many thanks for the research and organising.

Duncan

brianhabby":32ih43m7 said:
I may be interested although not sure what I need just yet. I only purchased my ProEdge on Saturday (at Harrogate) and I've broken it already..!

regards

Brian

what have you done to it!!!

How do these belts compare to the Sorby belts?
I bought my PE second hand so don't know what grade belts i'm using,apart from one very smooth grit and one rougher grit??
Which are the better belts to use for turning tools??

the "normal" ceramic ones are a good quality ceramic belt. they work fine on the pro-edge. I couldnt say that they are much different to the ones supplied- they may be a different brand, but they are substantially cheaper- about half the price. These ones are red- I am not sure whether all ceramic ones are. Ceramic only go to 120g. finer than that, the Zirconium are more long lived than the Aluminium Oxide. These are normally blue in my experience. Of the Aluminium Oxide belts (maroon) I have only used those that came with the machine, and not replaced them, but they didn't last very long with a bit of use.

For turning, I use the 60g for reshaping, then the 120g and 240g. In use, I normally touch up on the 240g as required. Putting a fresh belt on when the old one is worn makes a big difference.

When I switched it on the belt was tracking to the right quite a bit, so I attempted to adjust it as per the instructions in the manual. However, no matter which way I turned the spindle at the top of the machine, the belt just moved further to the right until it was tight up against the tool rest. When I stopped the machine I found the thread in the spindle was stripped. Whether this was my fault or something wrong with the machine I do not know but Robert Sorby are sending a new spindle out to me, so we'll see how I get on.

I actually bought two ProEdge machines, one for me and one for the Men's Shed and the one at the shed was set up today and is working just fine.

Here's a photo:
Tracking Spindle.jpg

regards

Brian

Attachments

• Tracking Spindle.jpg
    Tracking Spindle.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 249
marcros":2rqtxrt5 said:
the "normal" ceramic ones are a good quality ceramic belt. they work fine on the pro-edge. I couldnt say that they are much different to the ones supplied- they may be a different brand, but they are substantially cheaper- about half the price. These ones are red- I am not sure whether all ceramic ones are. Ceramic only go to 120g. finer than that, the Zirconium are more long lived than the Aluminium Oxide. These are normally blue in my experience. Of the Aluminium Oxide belts (maroon) I have only used those that came with the machine, and not replaced them, but they didn't last very long with a bit of use.

For turning, I use the 60g for reshaping, then the 120g and 240g. In use, I normally touch up on the 240g as required. Putting a fresh belt on when the old one is worn makes a big difference.
Thanks for your reply Marcos.
So would the three belts you suggest,the 60g-120g and 240g all be the ceramic belts supplied by this company?
What are the prices for those three?
At the moment i have a maroon belt which is very smooth,worn out :D so guessing 240.a red belt which again guessing 120 and a green belt guessing the 60g. I can't see any print on the backs so haven't a clue what they are.
So i will be interested in some belts :D

Hi David,
Thanks for organising.

Would I be able to join the bandwagon and get 1 x Cubitron 120g please?

I don't actually own a ProEdge, but I've recently been experimenting with making some knives for carving. I've found the sharpening after hardening and tempering to be extremely time consuming. To avoid damaging a fine edge during the heat treating and tempering process, the advice is to to leave a (relatively) thick edge (1mm?) and do the final sharpening post-tempering. Diamond stones work well, but the coarsest grit I have is 400g, and it takes ages! Ordinary and wet&dry sandpaper wear away so quickly it doesn't seem worth it. I've also tried on an ordinary bench grinder, but find that too aggressive!

I plan to cut the belt up into ~250x50mm pieces and glue with spray adhesive to a strip of wood, then use it like a file.

Interested to know what others think of that idea...

Building a proper 2x72 grinder is on the To Do list, but a fair way down! Have to find a decent (and almost free) 1-2 HP motor first!

Cheers,
Sven

PS if adding just one belt to the order is more hassle than it's worth for you, I completely understand. Just let me know.

Hi Paul
at our club ,Birstall wood turning we have 110 members a full workshop with 17 lathes and 3 sorby pro edges,with some very good turners,having shown the buyer these belts they are now going to buy along with us.
the belts we use at the club now are 80 grit shaping, and 120 for touching up, at home although i have a 240 grit i do not use this for turning tools,it only gets used for nicks in plane irons and chisels,the 120 is fine enough for turnig chisels.
there is a post somewhere by Chas about not sharpening too fine on turning tools ,but can't find a link at the moment.

regards david

I'm building a sander and it will use sorby belts, but I am not sure I can join this buy since I'm not in the UK.

Back