Something different for critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
My final rootball. Definitely a love or hate one this......

Bowl is 4" dia & 2 1/2" deep

Wood was over spalted and soft in places so it ended up smaller than it started. Sealed and waxed (very carefully)

Pete

You certainly like to do things differently Pete, I would say you have made the most of the subject in question as far as shape of the top face, personally I think I would have gone for a concave rear face to accentuate the 'wings', making them thinner section.

I like it - the wings make it an interesting shape,like the way that the rim defines the bowl section,and the beads on the wings stop them being a large expanse that overpowers the whole thing.

So if it's a "love it or hate it" then put me in the first one.. :lol:

Andrew

At the chance of sounding like picking others brains I go along with most of the above. I would have liked to have seen some of the bulk removed beneath the wings. The ring detail on top is really effective, I like it.

I'm trying to imagine the initial blank and I don't think you could have made much else with it. Root ball timber has got to be one of the most awkward pieces of wood to figure what to make from it.

You did well Pete!

Thanks guys. I left the tenon on as I wasn't totally happy with the sheer bulk underneath so I can put it back on the lathe if necessary. I intend to leave it for a while to make sur it has settled down. I have found that rootballs have such a huge difference in the density of the wood that it is anyone's guess what will happen after working it.

After making it I looked at it and thought 'broken china' maybe cutting back the underside would enhance this look....

Pete

Don't think I'd go as far as 'hate it' but it doesn't appeal to me.

The broken look is too extreme for me. Looks like something that fell apart but wasn't thrown away. Might look better in the flesh. Sorry.

RobertMP":2v7zs70f said:
Don't think I'd go as far as 'hate it' but it doesn't appeal to me.

The broken look is too extreme for me. Looks like something that fell apart but wasn't thrown away. Might look better in the flesh. Sorry.

No need for apologies, it'd be a very boring world if we all liked the same thing :lol:

Pete

Really like that one, Pete - not a style I usually go for, but the contrast between the rough exterior and the clearly defined smooth interior shape seems to work really well. If you thin the outside, then my feeling is that you will end up with something much more "ordinary".

dickm":2bm4tkja said:
Really like that one, Pete - not a style I usually go for, but the contrast between the rough exterior and the clearly defined smooth interior shape seems to work really well. If you thin the outside, then my feeling is that you will end up with something much more "ordinary".

Now I have to look at it again. I was all set to put it back on the lathe tonight but I had a glass (or two) of wine and I never mix high revs with alchohol so didn't. Definitely a love or hate one this.

I am like you Dickm I like the contrast of rough and smooth but I felt this was too chunky but I will now hang on, thanks for the comments.

pete

Back