Some photos from west dean

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A cracking two day jolly for me.

Easy trouble free journey south to Sussex on Friday after a little business, arrived at my hostelry in good time for a pint and cats lick before a short trip to Goodwood for that evenings racing.

Three bets, two wins and sufficient profit to pay for the cost of the trip. :D

Jazz band 8) , dancing semi-clad ladies :) , and a number of high maintenance women about the place :wink:

Skipped the last race to dash back to the pub for supper. Confit du canard, bok choi and saute potatoes. A nice glass of pinot noir, and five pints of Sharps Doombar later I was fast a sleep.

After a decent breakfast I headed for the show at West Dean. Set in rolling country side, a very pretty place, gardens, streams and a magnificent hall which housed the workshops, student accommodation and college.

I enjoyed the presentation by Deneb on scraper planes, and the tour of the workshops. It would be nice to have the time for a short course at the college.

It was also great to team up with the gang. PaulM, Paul C, Pete, Rob, Nigel and Les. To meet Steve as well. Philly, and Alex on the CHT stall.

Lots of useful tips and ideas from watching demonstrations etc.

Home by 9.00pm. A great two days.

Cheers, Tony.

Paul Chapman":1dtggptw said:
. . . . I asked Denib for a demonstration of the recently introduced Lie Nielsen tongue and groove plane . . .

I think Denib is something you do to paint or varnish Paul! :lol:

As others have said, it was a pleasant afternoon - well done to Classic Hand Tools and West Dean for putting on a good show. I came away feeling very virtuous having resisted temptation to buy something shiny - and there was a lot there to tempt. It was also a good opportunity to meet with some familiar faces and get to meet a few new ones too.

Steve

promhandicam":3rs7yxex said:
Paul Chapman":3rs7yxex said:
. . . . I asked Denib for a demonstration of the recently introduced Lie Nielsen tongue and groove plane . . .

I think Denib is something you do to paint or varnish Paul! :lol:

No, he's probably got yet another plane for that..... :lol:

Good to see you again, Steve, and to meet your son.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":1nbh0k8t said:
No, he's probably got yet another plane for that..... :lol:

Good to see you again, Steve, and to meet your son.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Good to see you again too. How are the bruises this morning or haven't you been to confession yet :lol:

Steve

Paul Chapman":2a0oe8cr said:
promhandicam":2a0oe8cr said:
How are the bruises this morning or haven't you been to confession yet :lol:

:-$ :-$ :-$ 8-[ 8-[
The little goodies that Paul bought though could be smuggled in under the denim jacket and then deposited surreptitiously in the 'shop..."I'm just going to check on something downstairs dear...won't be long" :lol: :lol: - Rob

Brilliant pics, I have been to East Dean, but its a pity it was not West at the time of this show/get together. Really opened my eyes to the fantastic range of tools and planes.

Pete (Wrexham)

Must agree with you all about the quality of the show at West Dean; Mike, Mary, Alex, Joy and the rest whose names I don't know did a terrific job. Being relatively new to the forum I know very few of you personally but there was a great atmosphere. I may in fact have talked with some of you because I was the old one on the West Dean College stand on Saturday if you came by there.

Sometime tomorrow I should be getting my sticky mitts on a Holtey 982 for two or three months which I will then be reviewing for F&C - some of us have to put up with real hardships! I don't know if any of you took a close look at the 982 adjuster but it is a real masterpiece. I think it is going to be a quantum leap over the traditional Norris adjuster, but time will tell.

Aren't woodworkers a great bunch of people.

Jim

Just back, so now I can start nursing Friday's and Saturday's hangover.
Good to meet some of the chaps - fab weekend.
But must lodge a complaint about that Philly fellow - terrible corrupting influence :evil: :D

Latest posts

Back