Some photos from west dean

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepBlue

Established Member
Reaction score
Some of you may have noticed me lurking around at West Dean this morning taking photos. It was nice to finally meet some of you, and I thought I'd share:

IMG_0609%20%281%29.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0615%20%281%29.jpg

IMG_0618%20%281%29.jpg

IMG_0621%20%281%29.jpg

IMG_0622%20%281%29.jpg

IMG_0624%20%281%29.jpg

IMG_0633%20%281%29.jpg

IMG_0635%20%281%29.jpg

IMG_0639%20%281%29.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

Sorry about that last one, I saw the burger in the background and couldn't resist :D

Cheers
-Tom

Ah, now, that explains why the forums look so quiet today! :wink:

Excellent photos, by the way. :wink:

I doubt there are many people on here who'd be happy to leave a burger sitting on their workbench! :D Can't have been a forum member, surely???

Thanks for sharing. I couldn't justify the cost or time of travelling down there this year, so was hoping for photos.

Cheers, Ed

The last photo is of Bill Carter's "Scraper Chisels" used to make these and other bits for his truly fully Hand Made planes:

billcarter1.jpg

Nice event as usual though I was a bit disappointed that Robert Ingham was not actually doing anything other than being there?
Had a very long and interesting chat with Bill Carter - what a nice man he is.
Rain held off though not as warm as last year.
Lots of interesting tools to play with and some pre production lovely looking Veritas trimming planes?

The Carter plane is in box wood and does not take up too much space being only 30mm long. Wish I could afford his metal ones - the detail on them is just amazing - the soles have a minute tongued and grooved joint!

Rod

Lovely set of photos Tom, thanks for posting them. You obviously have some experience in photography and many of these shots have"atmosphere" - long may you continue documenting events down south so us northeners can benefit, cheers John

Thanks for the pics, really gutted I wont be able to make it this year. I hope you guys will be supporting Cressing Temple later in the year.

I also had a great day at West Dean, which was very well organised by Mike Hancock and his team from Classic Hand Tools. Here are a few of the snaps I took.

As well as showing the complete range of Lie Nielsen tools, Denib Pulchalski gave an excellent presentation on the use of scraper planes. In fact it was so good, Pete (Newt) bought one :D

WestDean2009-2.jpg

Had a really nice chat with Karl Holtey

WestDean2009-9.jpg

and Karl's charming wife

WestDean2009-10.jpg

who were showing a range of Karl's fantastic planes

WestDean2009-11.jpg

Michel Auriou from France was there with his fabulous rasps

WestDean2009-4.jpg

This time I couldn't resist the temptation and bought one (don't tell the wife 8-[ )

Mike Hudson was there with the complete range of Clifton planes, spokeshaves and scrapers

WestDean2009-5.jpg

I bought one of his lovely concave spokeshaves (don't tell the wife 8-[ )

And here's Mike together with John Lloyd having a well earned cuppa

WestDean2009-3.jpg

Phil Edwards was there with his Phillyplanes. This was a particularly nice one

WestDean2009-13.jpg

And here's Phil having a cuppa with Steve Hamlin

WestDean2009-12.jpg

Bill Carter, who also makes some very nice planes, was there as well

WestDean2009-7.jpg

Here are a couple more of them

WestDean2009-8.jpg

And finally, here's Robert Ingham trying out the top-end dovetail saws. I must say, I was impressed with the new Rob Cosman saw

WestDean2009-6.jpg

It was a really great day. It's on again tomorrow, so if you get the chance, go along. You won't be disappointed :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Cracking photos' Tom, really capture some of the atmosphere from today.

Thoroughly enjoyed the day, especially Deneb's demo' in the morning and John Lloyd's in the afternoon, as well as the tour of the various workshops just after lunch. It was fascinating to see the different workshops and the steam box set up in one and the instrument making workshop with the various works in progress. The restoration shop seemed to have a surplus of lignum bowling bowls lying around, and now I know why I can never find any, they're all at West Dean !!!

Watching Steve produce an oak beam , by hand, from a large oak log, using various axes was awe inspiring too.

Phil's range of hand tools and planes is very impressive too and they hold up well in the company of Karl Holtey and Bill Carter although obviously all very different but appealing in their own ways.

And what a great bunch of people we have on the forum, met up with Steve (Dunbarhamlin) for the first time and all too briefly as it was the end of the day and I needed to get back. Thanks very much for the citric acid Steve, much appreciated and will give it a go tomorrow hopefully with some old files. Met Tony (Escudo) for the first time as well and Les (Routermonster), and of course the usual suspects :lol: Paul C, Woodbloke, Newt, Harbo (have I forgotten anyone ?).

Tom's UKWorkshop badges came in handy too, thanks Tom !

Great fun and well worth the trip if you can get along there tomorrow.

Cheers, Paul :D

Hi Tom

Thanks for posting the photos - as Paul says, they capture the atmosphere of the day.

It was a long drive home, and I've only just got in, but I had a very enjoyable day, great conversations, and I've learned new things. It was good meeting up with and chatting to forum members (- some for the first time) including Phil!

If Mike Hancock and any of his team and exhibitors are reading this - a big thank you all for organising another great hand tool event!
:D

It's time to go now - SWMBO says the stir fry is ready and by the way did I buy anything? :roll:

Some of my pics from the day. Here's Pete testing a scraper plane, Paul C in the foreground, Tony (Escudo) behind:

small2-3.jpg

...and having a LN scraper packaged, Rod (Harbo) on the right hand side

small3-3.jpg

Steve Hamlin (Dunbarhamlin) with Philly:

small4-2.jpg

and a group shot over a brew from left to right Pete (Newt) Tony (Escudo) Steve Allford (Promhandcam) Paul Chapman and finally my good self.

small5-1.jpg

A fantastic day out :D - Rob

Looks like a great day was had by all.

Pete - it looks like you bought the LN 85 sraper - great little plane. The only problem i've found with it is a tendency for shavings to clog up in front of the blade, which are a little fiddly to clear.

Cheers

Karl

I bought Bill Carter's DVD "Hand Made Planes" which is really a series of detailed "How to Do It" still photos with text and no sound.
For those of you who have not read the article in British Woodworking published a while ago, Bill makes about 17 planes a year in a small shed using only hand held tools: hacksaws, cold chisels, files, chisels, a vice, a Record sash cramp for bending - the only power tool he uses occasionally is a hand held drill for the end screw fixing! Sole lapping is done by hand on a large metal lapping plate. It is truly all hand work in the strictest definition of the term?
Having viewed it I am even more impressed with his work and the DVD well worth the £10 I paid.

Rod

Harbo":202rayte said:
I bought Bill Carter's DVD "Hand Made Planes" which is really a series of detailed "How to Do It" still photos with text and no sound.
For those of you who have not read the article in British Woodworking published a while ago, Bill makes about 17 planes a year in a small shed using only hand held tools: hacksaws, cold chisels, files, chisels, a vice, a Record sash cramp for bending - the only power tool he uses occasionally is a hand held drill for the end screw fixing! Sole lapping is done by hand on a large metal lapping plate. It is truly all hand work in the strictest definition of the term?
Having viewed it I am even more impressed with his work and the DVD well worth the £10 I paid.

Rod

The guy's a legend, and also, along with his wife, one of the nicest people you're ever likely to meet.

Did he have any planes with "cupids bow" dovetails on show, they really show off his skills to the maximum.

He once made a 28 or 30" jointer with cupids bow dovetails, but found it a pain to put in the boot of his car as it was so long, so did what seemed to be the obvious thing (to him), he hacksawed 6" off the rear end. :shock: :shock:

Looks like I missed a really good day out :x Let's hope I can make one of the other shows.

Cheers

Aled

Aled said
Did he have any planes with "cupids bow" dovetails on show, they really show off his skills to the maximum.

Yes he did and the off cut of the plane he cut off too.

I was probably talking to him for about an hour and he was full of stories about Norrises, Mathiesons etc. etc. He also seems to act for a number of very rich Americans who are quiet pleased to spend £50k on buying rare planes on his advice!
He makes the sole in two separate pieces to cut out the tiniest of mouths.
Then joining them together with a delicate tongue and groove.
For anybody who has the money they must make a great investment - his planes start from £600 - the pair of skew mitres in the photo were £2.5k?

Rod

I had a long chat with Bill as well and Rod is right...he's a very pleasant bloke and his planes are wonderful. I was very impressed with the chisel 'scraper' that he uses to shape the wooden parts (mainly using box and rosewood) so I may well make a couple of those for the 'Tool Wall'...if I can find some space :? - Rob

Yes a really good day, with some good pictures to record the event. Karl I could not resist the LN 85, been using a card scraper for years decided to give the thumbs a rest. I think this event could grow, its in a delightful setting and the demonstrators are happy to engage in conversation for as long as you want, even if there is no sale. Well done the organizers.

woodbloke":3c6z8qtr said:
... I was very impressed with the chisel 'scraper' that he uses to shape the wooden parts (mainly using box and rosewood) so I may well make a couple of those for the 'Tool Wall'...if I can find some space :? - Rob

I don't think that Lie Nielsen sell them Rob. :wink:

newt":2rsihdvi said:
the demonstrators are happy to engage in conversation for as long as you want, even if there is no sale.

Yes, that's one of the great features of this event - excellent demonstrators who are very willing to discuss techniques as well as tools. You can learn a lot (all about toothed blades, for example 8) ).

I asked Denib for a demonstration of the recently introduced Lie Nielsen tongue and groove plane http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=1-48

What a fantastic tool - must get one :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back