Some of today's work!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

=Adam=

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just thought I would post some pics to see what you guys think of my quick session in the workshop. I haven't had much time to go in there lately and when I have done, I have practiced my technique as opposed to making anything so it was nice to have a finished product for a change!

Anyway.....

First up was a lovely little pen that I was asked to make by my boss. He has seen some of the ones that I have done before and has even nagging ever since, but he reminded me today so I thought that this was an ideal opportunity!

The pen is just a standard slimline kit that I got from the turners retreat (nice quality kits) and the blanks are American ash which are actually off cuts from work. The pen was finished by sanding to 600, 3 coats of friction polish, 4 coats of ca and blo and then finally topped off with a coat of bees wax. I'm not sure if I have gone overboard with the finish, was there any need for polish before the ca? Also I'm sure I can get more gloss from this method! I'm happy with the finished product any way!

EC7194B4-EF34-4893-B6C9-88B60604CD13-38895-00000548155B7A92.jpg

E6785104-D04D-40AF-8212-AB3E8B9D549F-38895-000005481F0EC678.jpg

Whilst I was waiting for my pen blanks to cure I had a play around and made this little snowman! He is made from sapele and is finished with 3 coats of friction polish and a layer of bees wax. The permanent marker is not intentional but I was told it looks too plain haha! This was just a test run but I think it turned out ok! The hat needs to be trimmed slightly and the whole thing needs to be made from a light wood, but apart from that I am happy!

Comments are welcome! I am here to learn :)

Cheers!

3B88784D-6ED2-4E1C-B0B5-CDE2089A725C-38895-0000054837BC7063.jpg

Thanks!

I thought the grain was great too! Especially as the blank looked pretty plain when it was square! The only thing is that when I put a finish on it turned yellow'ish I know this is an issue with ash/oak but only thought it applied to polyurethane finishes!

Latest posts

Back