Some advice please if possible

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebster60

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I wondered if anyone can advise me at all.
I have a shed in my garden that I do my woodwork in.
I am quite new to this hobby. In my shed I have an 8" thicknesser, and a table saw, router table and biscuit joiner.
Am I OK using these in my shed, obviously the table saw and thicknesser are quite loud bits of kit, or is there some kind of law I am breaking. Obviously I do not want to upset the neighbors, and I don't want to be using them if I am not allowed.

I don't know where to find this information out from, so thought I would ask the experienced people here.

Thanks in advance.
Dave.

I received a complaint about noise from Environmental Health. Not power tool noise, but noises from within my home. As it happens the complaint was dismissed as 'normal'. But the procedure was for EH to inform me and let me know the next steps. It was a standard letter and one they send out on receipt of a compaint - they told me that much. So I'd progress as you are an if there is a complaint, talk to the EH or Council and ask what the rules are, then if you are doing something wrong make changes. Chances are so long as you are not using them at anti social hours and not continously every day you'll be OK.

NB I speak only from experience and say what my plan of action would be. I have no real insight into the laws and processes.

I once had a complaint about a radio playing in the garden when I was painting (years ago) by a serious old battleaxe that lived next door. The bloke with the decibel meter came round and it was way below the legal threshold for what constitutes "noisy" so I would be very surprised if you're actually breaking the law.

Whether or not it's offending (disturbing) the neighbours or not is a different matter of course. Probably the best course of action in that respect is just to talk to them. People are generally pretty decent if you show you're being thoughtful.

Thoughtfulness and consideration are the order of the day (usually). When we lived in a semi-detached house I became aware that my woodworking activities were potentially going to cause tension between us and our neighbours. I simply talked to our neighbours and asked what times of day they were most likely to be disturbed by the noise and they were very understanding. I kept the noise to a minimum during those times and made sure I had finished with power tools by a reasonable hour in the evening.

An unexpected consequence was that I actually got more organised in my approach to woodwork. I would prepare components ready for machining and then run batches through the machines at the times least annoying to our neighbours.

I suppose it was a case of prevention being better than a cure.

Thanks for you replies guys.
I do consider the neighbors, I never use power tools before 9am and after 6pm.
I have asked the next door and they seem fine, I just know that tools are loud and it worries me a little. But I guess if it was that bad I will hear about it.
:)

Hello rebster, most people would be very happy if a considerate chap like you moved in next door to them! Where abouts in Hampshire are you by the way?

The thing to do is not to do it for hours on end (noisy tools that is) - everything in moderation?

If neighbours complain then it will mean more noise insulation?

I have a neighbour (about 200yrds away) who does his woodworking on his drive - very noisy at times but he doesn't do it too often so cannot complain I case he moans about my stuff?

Rod

Back