Solvent grab adhesive on hardwax oiled surfaces?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yetty

Established Member
Reaction score
Solvent type grab adhesives on varnished / hardwax oil type surfaces - do you know if there any bonding / chemical reaction problems using ?

Evostik 'Gripfill' or Evostik 'Sticks Like Sht' costing twice the price - marketing or is the latter a better product?

I'm wanting to fit some trims to some vertical bookcases, with minimum amount of pinning. The contacting surfaces have already been oiled (Osmo hardwax and left to harden for over a week). Also there may be some shallow voids between the contacting surfaces to be bridged. So I'm thinking about grab adhesive plus a few panel pins. Also, I'll roughen the surfaces a bit with some 120 grit beforehand for good measure.

There seems to be two types of grab adhesives, solvent and solvent-free. I don't think the solvent-free will be any good for me as it is water based and relies on it drying to make the stick set (tell me if you think I am wrong). So I think solvent type e.g. Evostik Gripfill (solvent version) that I can get at Toolstation on Sundays!

Phew!

gripfill works everytime on any surface, I've never had any problem with it bonding. If the item was prone to flexing or movemnt (I don't mean wood) I would use a product like "SIKA-FLEX" but that is total overkill. Gripfill sets hard and doesnt allow for "alot" of movement and Sika-Flex is like rubber once it goes off. all of these products stick like dung to a blanket.

Back