Scary Sharp – Adhesive and How Do You Apply It?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SteveB43":1sogsokh said:
+1 more for Matthew's 3M lapping paper, and I'm also using it on a big slab of granite offcut...
I find the higher microns paper wear quite well, but the 5 and 1 can tend to rip.
I know these are polishing grades, but it does seem the more you polish, the more you sharpen, the higher the ripping incidents become, and Yes that is using the paper as Matthew suggests in his Narex chisels set up YouTube video...
Cleaning off is a pain, but sticky solvent remover, white spirt etc will clean up off granite...
I've been using a 30, 15, 5, 1 set of papers and the results are fantastic...
I also make up a solution of honing water with the additive as suggested, in a spray bottle as a lubricant..

Cheers!

I find that any paper finer than 1500 FEPA will cut/tear if the (by now rather sharp) edge goes into it, even slightly. I would (therefore) advocate a jig is using these papers.

Edit; I see in the video he IS using a jig.

BugBear

Cheers for all your suggestions.

I have lots of MM in practically every grade; probably enough to see out my lifetime anyway so that’s why I’m sticking with it (I’ll get me coat).

3M 77 spray mount looks good but not exactly cheap at £13.05 for a 400ml can.

So I’ll try the following methods (in no particular order):

Double sided tape

A dab of Superglue in each corner

Masking tape

Thanks again guys.

Oz

Back