Solid copper or brass or bronze ball

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafezetter

Troll Hunter
Reaction score
Does anyone of the metal work fraternity here have the ability to make solid copper, brass (or maybe even bronze) balls? Somewhere around the 30mm diameter range?

How many do you need?
How accurate do they need to be?(tolerance on diameter)
Does it have to be a complete sphere?
Can you supply the material?
Regards
Tudor

Retire2004":x09bzutg said:
How many do you need?
How accurate do they need to be?(tolerance on diameter)
Does it have to be a complete sphere?
Can you supply the material?
Regards
Tudor

need just 2 (ends for a celtic torc I'm making) - or possibly 4; 2 as beads, 2 as closed ends
accuracy - think ironage smelting so mostly sphere shaped is good - almost rougher the better tbh (rough sandcast style?)
yes complete sphere - I do not yet know the final measurements of the torc ends they will slot over.
cannot supply material - but a few bags of pennies might do for bronze?

THINK I've got two or three brass balls about 15mm diameter with threaded (6mm?) hole in a slight flat on one side. Might these be any good? PM me if interested.

Thanks for the replies Robin and Dick - I think 15mm will be too small in all honesty - I'm cheating and using 3 phase wire x3 wound in a spiral pattern for the main body (or maybe even 6 strands if 3 seems too thin) which may mean even larger ball ends required.

Heh - I think I may have a roman coin lurking somewhere purportedly made of bronze - I meant copper for the pennies :)

You can get rough cast balls from railing suppliers in mild steel
they are rough finished you could paint them copper/bronze
very cheap they are too
< £ 1 iirc

Ian

Latest posts

Back