Sole flattening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtr1

Established Member
Reaction score
About 20 odd years ago I flattened the sole's on two planes, No5.5, and a No7. I did this on glass with valve grinding paste, all flat, sorted. Today I checked my No7, and it wasn't flat anymore :? It was touching at the front, mouth and heel, so it's fine to use(I haven't noticed). I was wondering, if, when in use it deflected that much it's worn away? I would of used it for ten years in a hand workshop on mainly oak. Anyone else had this problem? I checked the No5.5, and it was the same.

If it ain't broke...don't fix it...

There is nothing wrong with using a plaine that touches where you state...in fact...that is the ideal situation

Rarely will you find a micron flat sole...metal moves over time too...but (expecially with the No.7), yours are fine.

If you think about what the No.7 is intended to do...it is to get the humps down to the level of the troughs by bridging and cutting at the mouth...

The fact that the bits in between don't exactly touch is not an issue...indeed...it makes for less friction I would think.

Jim

I was just surprised it had moved/flexed/worn. I realise it's still OK to use as I have been for 20odd years now, and not noticed a problem tbh. I just rather naively thought once done, it wouldn't move. How much I don't know, I can see light through the two hollows when I place a good straight edge on it. I don't have any feeler gauges so can't measure it. Thanks for the reply guys.

Cast iron may move over the years from the relaxation of internal stresses which were caused as the metal cooled. The thickness of metal varies so the rate of cooling also varies.

No feeler gauges, no problem!

Good quality paper is about 4 thou". Blue Rizzlas about 1 thou. Newspaper about 2 thou" I used these improvised gauges for years.

Best wishes,
David Charlesworth

Thank you David, useful information there. I have had no cause to keep a supply of the 1 thou measures of late (early seventies I believe) yet look forward to getting a package for the shop. Might provide for three purposes 1/ shock the heck out of Her Majesty
2/ have her explain what she was doing nosing about on my bench
3/ AND feeler gauge duty
You got to get your chuckles where you can you know.

Back