Soldering metal ring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
The attached pic is of a metal ring for a dog lead.

If I were to cut it fit it and solder it, would it be strong enough.

I am competent enough to make a good job of soldering wires, but unsure if solder is the answer for this?

Attachments

• ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 4
Depends on the dog. I reckon either of my two on full pull would break a solder joint.
I was hoping someone would have tried it. :)

There shouldn't be any great strain on it, but it would be too late to find out someday he spots a cat on the other side of the road.

I suppose the links are welded when new before plating?

You would need to silver solder it. You can buy solder paste for this sort of thing, very easy to use. I use it to make bows for pocket watches, a very similar situation. Unfortunately it costs about £14 for a small tube and you need a decent blowlamp. Also if it's plated you will struggle to do it without damaging the plating. Personally I would get a bit of appropriate diameter stainless rod and make one. Then just pop into your nearest fabricator and get them to tig weld the joint. Problem is you are presumably looking to join this with the lead in place. You would probably get away with that with a tig welder as the spread of heat is very limited, you certainly won't manage that with any sort of high strength solder, you will burn the lead. Alternatively just unpick the stitching on the end of the lead and stitch it back up around the ring.

You would need to silver solder it. You can buy solder paste for this sort of thing, very easy to use. I use it to make bows for pocket watches, a very similar situation. Unfortunately it costs about £14 for a small tube and you need a decent blowlamp. Also if it's plated you will struggle to do it without damaging the plating. Personally I would get a bit of appropriate diameter stainless rod and make one. Then just pop into your nearest fabricator and get them to tig weld the joint. Problem is you are presumably looking to join this with the lead in place. You would probably get away with that with a tig welder as the spread of heat is very limited, you certainly won't manage that with any sort of high strength solder, you will burn the lead. Alternatively just unpick the stitching on the end of the lead and stitch it back up around the ring.

This seems the sensible approach.

It's just a dog lead easily replaceable.

Would be worthwhile if 5 mins with a soldering iron cured it, any more effort than that would be better spent elsewhere.

Thanks for the info.

As it is its probably strong enough,,,,,for a toy poodle,,,,,
Its probably not strong enough for a Rottweiler,,,,,
If you can expose the joint a touch with a modern welder will catch it without heating things up I would think.
Steve.

Problem solved.
Took a trip to town this morning and picked up a few of these.

Attachments

• D shakle.jpg
    D shakle.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 5
Crikey,,maybe you should have bought a length of anchor chain too whilst you were at the chandlers, sounds like thats going to be a big beastie, Im guessing one of the Mastiff type dogs?

It's a mongrel.
75% Malinois, 25% GSD,
My previous working line Shephard grew to 56 kilos He had a very good pedigree, but developed various health problems at young age.
So this time I decided to get a mixed breed as some say they are genetically stronger, and a smaller breed because in the next 10-15 years I probably won't be.

I had expected him to grow to around 30 kg total, but it's looking like he'll exceed that.

Soft solder like plumbers solder will be no good.
You would need silver solder and a turbo torch that would be strong enough for a bulldog.

I am competent enough to make a good job of soldering wires, but unsure if solder is the answer for this?
I think this has been well covered by now and you've got your problem solved, but just for the record: electrical soldering irons and so-called "soft" solder (tin/lead or lead free, including with silver in it – this is distinct from silver solder, which is mostly silver) don't stick to steel unless it's been specifically plated (e.g. with nickel). Your ring looks like chrome plated steel; soft solder will just bead up and run off it. Plumbers solder is more or less the same (i.e. also designed to stick to copper, cuprous alloys, nickel plating etc). Silver solder would work, this is not done with a soldering iron but rather a good blowtorch or usually an oxy-acetylene torch, and would almost certainly destroy the plating (and give off noxious chrome fumes) in the process.

Back