Solar Power for the Workshop??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And you are equating slowness of thinking with stupidity Jake.
I like to take my time and I have an IQ of 155!

Roy.

Jenx":1b7131gb said:
I'm not sure how one arrives at "Moving Slowly, as a result of the regions ambient temperature" = " Stupidity"

Wouldn't that indicate one's own perceptions and views, when arriving at that conclusion

What confuses me, is that I agree with the above. Yet you say:

I'm not getting how anybody with a balanced view of the world and everything in it, could take Rich's observation as anything other than that.. an observation.

in response to this:

Rich":1b7131gb said:
This may sound obtuse, but I have always been of the opinion that people think at the same speed as they move, take a look around you and you will see what I mean, disabled folk excluded of course, people in the African continent move slowly, even when they are in a cooler climate such as the uk.

Jenx":2wr8qghk said:
Did Rich mention Ethnicity ? I agree its everything to do with the heat , which I'm guessing would apply equally to all and sundry
Under conditions of heat we tend to be affected by it. After multiple generations micromutation will have occurred causing people that are more adapted to the heat. It does not matter if these people are natives or immigrants. If moved to a cooler location the micromutations are still there, so they will still be moving slower. However the heat does not make people slower. Its depended on more factors. Being descended of a race of fierce hunters being used to the condition of chasing animals would make them faster. As we can see in the diversity of our fellow african bound species member.s

Jake.. man, I'm not having a go at you... apologies if it seemed so... I'm sure you're a top fella... I'm not a bad sort meself, honestly !

Just didn't think that Rich's post was in any way racially offensive.... ( I don't know Rich either.. and I'm sure he's equally a Grand chap. ) :wink:

So is Christian going to go for any of this solar power malarkey then ?
or have you decided it's more trouble than the gain that would be achieved ?

Cost wise small scale solar electricity generation is an interesting project, but financially ruinous.

Roy.

Yes as soon as the rennovations of my home get sorted out. I'm looking into the range of putting up 1000 to 1400Wp on the roof for electricity and a solor collector for heating with a thousand litre heat storage tank.

Jenx":2q1kes9b said:
I crossed the circle at Fauske in Norway, and I HOPE that was land, cause I was riding a motorcycle at the time :wink:

First of all, that sounds fantastic. Do tell more.

I may have not been clear in what I'm saying.. the POLAR ICE Cap or what we generally accept at the Arctic Ice.. has no land under it, as can be seen from your map. There No land, just the sea.

You have been clear and I do understand that the polar sea ice is floating. However, Greenland has a huge ice sheet. The only sheet other than the Antartic. You are still assuming that only the sea ice is melting.

In the Southern hemisphere.. under the ANTARCTIC Ice cap, there is a land mass ... the Antarctic Continent. therefore the ice there, is land-borne, and not displacing seawater.

Exactly. So if this melts, do you still think the sea levels will fall?

Its my view, and that of a good many others, that Global Warming is not happening, nothing is changing, other than the cyclical clight warming and cooling down which has happened to the globe since time began

Global warming is happening. I think that is undeniable. However, I don't believe it is man made global warming. I think it is a typical human trait to think that we are controlling such a huge system. I agree that it is a natural occurance. Possibly due to solar activity - IMO a much more credible theory.

Global warming is happening. I think that is undeniable.

According a report publish 'tother day the global temp has dropped by 0.77C
in the past 17 months, completely wiping out the entire 20 century gain of 0.6C.
None of the computer models used by the 'we're doomed!' prophets even suggested such an event.
During the southern winter the Antarctic ice increased to near record levels.
So I wonder what is actually happening?

Roy.

Digit":1sapnj2i said:
Global warming is happening. I think that is undeniable.

According a report publish 'tother day the global temp has dropped by 0.77C
in the past 17 months, completely wiping out the entire 20 century gain of 0.6C.
None of the computer models used by the 'we're doomed!' prophets even suggested such an event.
During the southern winter the Antarctic ice increased to near record levels.
So I wonder what is actually happening?

Roy.

Very interesting Roy. I hadn't heard that. Can you point me in the direction of that report?

http://www.newstatesman.com/scitech/200 ... emperature

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main ... do0907.xml

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7329799.stm

http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcrut3/di ... bal/nh+sh/

http://www.dailytech.com/Temperature+Mo ... e10866.htm

Can't find the exact one again but these are all scientifically based and all a down turn.
The graphs are especially interesting, for example they show the first significant peak in the twentieth century as occurring in the late 1940s, one of the coldest periods in the northern hemisphere in living memory.
ALL global warming models that haven't been 'corrected' fail to show polar warming, the only model that does is based on solar and extra solar radiation.

Roy.

Found it! This chap is the one who destroyed the 'hockey stick' and other foundation stones for the gloom and doom merchants.

http://wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com/20 ... es-in-may/

Slim":1jush0ca said:
Jenx":1jush0ca said:
I crossed the circle at Fauske in Norway, and I HOPE that was land, cause I was riding a motorcycle at the time :wink:

First of all, that sounds fantastic. Do tell more.

It was in June 2003... rode from Aberdeenshire to Nordkapp, stayed under canvas for the entire trip, there was 5 of us did it, one of whom was on a 1951 Panther 600 Sloper, and he'd done it 15 years previously on the same machine -- that was the original reason for going, to make his, as far as we know, the only Panther motorcycle ever to go to the cape twice.
As a 'side-event' we raised some money for the heart unit at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, not a vast amount, about 4 grand from memory.. but two of the guys had 'first hand experience' of being in the unit with a heart attack ( panther Owner ) and a triple bypass ( BMW Owner ), so it was nice to be able to do at least something for the place.
You could say we were a diverse bunch, : . ( ages at the time ) : -
ALAN MORRIS - 58 Panther 600. Wellhead Intervention Engineer
ROY DEAR - 66 BMW R1150 . Retired Hydro Power Engineer
MARK HUTCHEON - 34 Yamaha XJ600. Joiner / Clerk of Works
DANNY TAYLOR - 33 Kawasaki VN800. North Sea Fisherman
ME - 38 . Yamaha XJR1300. Valve & Actuation Sales Engineer.

Over-riding memories that seem to live on : --

24 Hour Daylight, above the Circle - messes with your body clock !
Picture Postcard Views around every corner.. amazing scenery.
A 26Km Tunnel, 500 yards of daylight, and back into an 18Km Tunnel !
Passing a black harley, who 'Uturned' and followed us for 70 miles ( for him.. back the way he'd come ), and who did so, because he recognised the Panther and its rider as someone who he'd met at a Rally in Switzerland 20 years before.. he was 'Oliver from Geneva'.. that amazed me totally.
The price of 20 Fags !
The Jotunheim.. land of the frost giants & trolls !
Crossing the circle itself.. its very 'barren' and almost lunar on the E6 where you cross.
The towns of Mo-I-Rana, Fauske, Narvik, Alta and Honingsvag... just very 'different' from home.
Dolphins leaping in front of a short ferry crossing from Bognes to somewhere I cant remember.
Looking out towards the Lofoten Islands... looked like somewhere i want to go back to !
A sense of achievement, knowing you'd gone about as far north in Europe as its possible to go, and got back again. !
Two weeks there and I learnt 1 Word Jordbaer, and it means 'Strawberries' !

If you ever get the chance... don't even stop to consider... just go !
I'd go back in the blink of an eye !
:wink: 8) :D 8)

That's brilliant Jenx. You are to be commended. I'm pretty sure my sister worked in the heart unit at ARI when she was a student nurse. That would have been somewhere between 1999-2002. Maybe she nursed your buddies?

Good evening Jake, and all, I'm sorry if a simple observation has caused any offence, it was certainly not intended, perhaps it would have been better explained if I had gone on to say that observing the chinese and japanese in this country and how quick they move and get things done is probably why they are years ahead of other nations in production and inventions, I will state categorically here and now, I AM NOT RACIST, some of my best friends at work and socially have different coloured skins to me, so what, they are nice to me and I am nice to them, they are welcome in my house AND my workshop :lol: If I make any further "obtuse" remarks in the future, please be minded they are not racist remarks but merely observations of life in general as I see them.

Regards,
Rich.

Saying that a continent of peoples (does it include Afrikaans, by the way, or do they walk quicker?) are slow of thought and that is connected with the speed at which they walk is such a stupid 'observation' that it couldn't really offend.

I am surprised that so few people objected to you labelling all Africans slow of thought. Are they are lazy as well,by the way?

Maybe we should rename these forums the UKWorKKKshop? :p Plenty of wood around for the crosses! :lol:

Just like me Jake, you are entitled to your opinion, and I'm not offended by that, but please dont call me stupid, I can assure you I am far from it

Rich.

Jake! I am Jewish. I have been called a variety of offensive names in my time because of it, but I am utterly opposed to ANY restrictions on free speech.
If you think that Rich, or anybody else is racist, I very much doubt that being rude to them is likely to change their views.

Roy.

Rich":2elpo2z8 said:
please dont call me stupid

I didn't. It was the idea that the African race is slow of thought, which is ostensibly connected to the speed of their perambulations, that I called stupid.

Some very clever people believe in very stupid ideas. Some Africans do as well - maybe stupid ideas come from walking too slowly?

Back