softwood selection for built in bunk beds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shedifice

Established Member
Reaction score
Real stupid question!

i am used to working with hardwood and have little experience in softwoods. i would like to build a built in bunk bed for my sons. would 'redwood' be good for this? what other flavour or spec of wood should I be seeking. It will be painted so grain etct no worries but it should fairly hard wearing given 5 and 7yo throwing matchbox cars etc :)

Any advice welcomed.

Leigh.

Redwood should be fine. As it's for furniture duty, it might be worth paying the extra for Unsorted grade from a proper timber merchant. Another possibility, as it's going to be painted, might be Poplar, which is a softish hardwood, relatively cheap because the colouring is often rather unattractive.

Yes redwood/pine is great for this sort of thing, I've just built an elevated bed that needed to take a bit more err... load... than what you need and its more than strong enough. I would imagine if you post up some more info/pictures on where its going/size/height etc then some helpful folk will be more specific with build style etc (not that Fishandchips hasn't been helpful!).

Thanks for the good replies. redwood or poplar it is then. I think I will go for built in as its next to an alcove and I will do some shelves and cupboards at the same time.

I have a few independant timber merchants near swindon so will go for a look in the next week or so.

Again thanks for info, most appreciated.

L.

Back