Software for modelling timber framing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJB Temple

Finely figured
Reaction score
I am intending to construct two twin bay garages, either out of blockwork or timber framing, and am seeking advice on software that will enable me to produce scale drawings from which I can produce materials and cutting lists. Obviously I could hand draw this, but as this is the first of three projects I am wondering if software will be more flexible and perhaps better.

I don't mind paying for the software (though free is also good!) but don't want to go overboard on technical complexity and wish to avoid a long software learning curve if possible. Any suggestions from people who have actually used or currently use such software would be gratefully received.

Thanks, AJ

Try SketchUp, it's free but very good. It's quick to pick up but you can do a lot with it.

There's a paid version with a layout programme and I think you start off with a 30 day free trial of the pro version anyway.

Thanks. I have downloaded Sketch up and am working my way through the tutorials. It unfortunately requires a scroll wheel mouse: and I use Mac with a trackpad, so a mouse is on its way via Amazon. The pro version, after the 30 day trail, is around £450 so a not inconsiderable sum, but I ma not sure yet whether I will need that functionality. My idea is to use it for accurate scale drawings from which I can take cutting list dimensions for timber framing.

The free version, SketchUp Make, should be able to do all that. The measurement tool is really useful for getting dimensions.

Some of the best tutorials I have watched are the many videos from Jay Bates on YouTube, well worth checking out.

Yes the Jay Bates youtube vidoes on Sketchup are really helpful. I learn something new every time I watch one.

The only feature I miss having from the pro trial is the ability to import vectors from Illustrator. It's not worth £450 though!

You should look at the Timber Framing Extensions for SketchUp. They are available from the Extension Warehouse.

Some other good tutorials here.

Back