Social distancing, .. what's that?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No because most of the arguments regarding flu are based on historical figures
UK isnt in a flu season whilst covid has been around so comparisions are rather pointless
Lets just focus on this years figures then.

And youve ignored the point regarding a flu vaccine

You didn't mention a flu vaccine in that post.
I won't be having one anyway.

on the subject of flu -we dont test for flu, so statistics arent know anyway, it is recorded as FLI: flu like illness
Statistics aren't known for covid either.

The difficulty we face is that if covid is allowed to rip through our population without restraint, our healthcare system will blow up. Most winters it runs dangerously 'hot'. Things are alteady looking potentially dicey in the north west.
Flu vaccine is effective in reducing the number of people needing hospital treatment each winter - unless the strains are wrongly predicted.
We are starting to find effective therapies for covid - vitamin D and dexamethasone. If we can find a few more/better it seriously takes the pressure off finding a vaccine. It would be wrong to ignore long covid which seems to affect a lot of otherwise healthy and relatively young people.
Anyone over 50 or with long term health issues, or who works with others who are, who doesn't get a flu jab is a selfish numpty IMHO.

This is all going in round-abouts. Not enough is known to do the best thing other than logical guesswork. The biggest problem in stopping the disease spreading is that people are being told a hankie will stop you giving it to someone else. What a load of bovine groin gristle.

Yes, wearing masks will stop it but only if you and evryone else wears the correct type of mask. A fully sealing face mask fitted with at a mininum FFP3 filters though preferably full CBRN activated charcoal 1mu filters are what is needed. You must also protect the mucus areas of the eyes as well. Anything less than this with full decontamination procedures on entering any building will fail to stop it's spread. This is indeed the only way that a biological weapon can be nullified and the only difference between Covid-19 and a recognised bio weapon is the delivery method

That's kind of true if the aim is to protect yourself (although overstated, as there is some evidence that initial viral load can effect severity of disease), but that is not the point of the sort of mask wearing that the public is asked to do, and even simple masks dramatically reduce your own droplet/aerosol emissions.

If all did it, then none would become infected and the virus exhaled by those infected would die without finding new hosts. Et voila epidemic over - after say a month

Apparantly a UK google search for the Great Barrington Declaration does not bring it up anymore, just news articles on it.
Use a VPN and it comes up, so it is being geographically blocked, I'm amazed by this, this sort of thing happens in China not uk.
Maybe I'm wrong, I hope so.
You really, really shouldn't be using Google. I use Duckduckgo.com, not because they don't track everything (which is a nice bonus), but because the search results are what I want, not what Google wants to charge their advertisers for showing me.

As a test, see how this compares with Google: Great Barrington Declaration at DuckDuckGo

no, because of the massive social distancing and infection control put in place to reduce covid
and there is a vaccine for flu
and people arent tested for flu so deaths are recorded as flu like illness
so you cant compare the data.
You're losing me here. How people catch it, and what stops them catching it, are not part of the discussion. The survival rate having caught it is the topic at hand. Everything else is extraneous. If you want to have a conversation about how the lockdown may or may not reduce the number of infections then we can do that, but everything I posted today is about survival after catching the disease, not ways to avoid catching it in the first place. Very basic: deaths after infection of Coronavirus seems to be similar to deaths after infection of influenza virus. Lockdown is completely irrelevant to this.

Or am I missing something?

Just want to touch on the almighty R number, which gets mentioned with appropriate solemnness and tones full of dread.
According to the BBC..

How is R calculated?
You can't capture the moment people are infected. Instead, scientists work backwards.
Data - such as the number of people dying, admitted to hospital or testing positive for the virus over time - is used to estimate how easily the virus is spreading.

And they can do this on a day to day basis?
Another load of spherical objects from the people who tell us to use antibacterial hand sanitiser to stop a virus.

Another load of spherical objects from the people who tell us to use antibacterial hand sanitiser to stop a virus.

Alcohols dissolve the outer layers of the virus, like soap. It also isn't great for bacteria, there is no contradiction to be found in that.

Alcohols dissolve the outer layers of the virus, like soap. It also isn't great for bacteria, there is no contradiction to be found in that.
And kills the beneficial bacteria on our hands.

OK that's one perspective I guess.
If all did it, then none would become infected and the virus exhaled by those infected would die without finding new hosts. Et voila epidemic over - after say a month

That is probably true, but unfortunately impractical.

Robin it seems strange you question figures yet never acknowledged that your figure for GDP was incorrect by 100%?
I did point it out quite politely, and of course it's your privilage to ignore it, however it potentially could make you look silly when you pick up others "incorrect figures", some may even say that you are picking and choosing to suit, others may not, who knows?

Bob, you are correct the latest GDP forecast is typically a 5% drop in GDP. World bank for example 5.2%

However the higher spas atill relavent in the context of the point I was making.

When people make statements like "the whole world has locked down" it is useful to apply some context to them.
5% doesn't sound like a total lockdown to me.

From an economists viewpoint this financial crash is different to any other, usually overheated financial market crash leading to fall in demand which leads to supply side problems. This time the supply side fell due to work being stopped then leading to a demand side fall. Provided a vaccine comes along soon, pent up demand should see a bounce back......but sadly not in hospitality sectors.

Masks and social distancing don't affect the course of the disease once you have got it

Yes they do.

Somebody who is positive for virus won't spread it as much if they wear a mask and social distance.

No it won't affect the course of their illness, but what point are making?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back