So many styles, so little time

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
As I browse the galleries for inspiration I find myself more and more drawn to the sort of turning that shows the contrast between the rough and ready side of nature and the smooth, symetricality (is there such a word :?: ) of the turned, polished wood. Whilst I admire the work of turnrs like Binh Pho and envy his skill and artistry, I have no desire to emulate his style. Do other of you find that you are drawn to a certain style of turning and if so what?

Pete

So many styles, so little time

There are so many, I content meself with turning that which floats me boat.

Attempts to replicate others' work seldom, if ever, works for me; I end up turning something that has my own spin ( :roll: ) on it :wink:

Where would we be without others from whom to draw inspiration...(rhetorical :wink: )

Hi Pete.

Like you I browse many galleries looking for inspiration. Although I don't try and replicate the item I have seen, hopefully I can use the general design with some of my own artistry blended in. Although some shapes lend themselves to quite a tight design criteria, so they don't get changed much. :wink:

I don't have any preference for what I make, spindle/faceplate/hollowing. I find that newcomers to the hobby tend to lean towards bowls, Bowls, and more BOWLS. :lol: I think they should try the other styles of turning as well, but it is a hobby pastime so as Graham says' what ever floats your boat'.

I like turnings that show off the natural beauty of the timber,not really into colouring,don't mind tasteful (but not overpowering) texturing - things that highlight the wood,rather than smother it.
My personal preference for shapes is ancient pottery,but basically like anything that looks nice (terribly subjective,but hey,that's life.. :wink: ),and veer towards useable pieces rather than purely decorative ones.

Andrew

I do like the exotic woods from other countries, I have just got some tiger wood or was it called zebra.
I just stick it on the lathe and go for it, well not just go for it, I am going to do a small light house in deferent woods, see it in a book someware.
It is all good practice for me and some day I may master it.

Pete.
To be honest i can't tell one turners work from another.
How do you create your own style in turning. :?: There are only so many things to be done on the lathe,which have all been covered i should think.
Painting and decorating your work like Binh Pho just does not appeal to me at all.Even though it is very nice,but as i think i've said before wood turning or any other form of woodwork i like to see the natural finish of the wood.Which is why i like getting logs etc you just don't know what is going to be revealed when it's on the lathe,however rough it is :D
I have looked at galleries too and do and try to copy some of the pieces,but 10 times out of 10 they end up different anyway,better imho :shock:
Paul.J.

I am like you Paul in just going with the flow dependent on the wood. I do admire those who are more disciplined however and are able to create things to an exacting dimension. I just feel that as I do more turning I am graduating more to one style of turning. I love contrast but like you try and do it with the wood not just using the wood.
I guess I am surprised that after only four months of turning I am already becoming more focussed in the type of thing I like to do.

Pete

For me Turning is Contentment, if on a particular day an idea comes to the fore I may go for it, on other days simplicity reigns/rules and the awkward bit of wood or idea gets shelved or finds its way into the firewood.

I'll go with Chas. Turning is my way of getting away from the world. If I don't like the look of it I'll chuck it back on the lathe and try again. Unfortunately the last two pieces are now on the firewood pile (due to big bangs).

As I only started in January swmbo is finding things a little tough but it has prompted her to take up some hobbies.

Dave

encourage swmbo to take up a hobby? Sliver did that 4 months ago now he can't get near the lathe!!

As to styles, I enjoy making delicate fiddly things but personally like wood to look like wood. any piece I made for myself would be more rustic. I am drawn to Cindy Drozda type thing and I want to (in time) incorporate other crafts in with the turnings. but just now I am trying all things I can and enjoying it.

The majority of the things that I turn have been roughly designed or sketched before I get the wood anywhere near the lathe. This sketching is often as enjoyable as the actual turning - last week whilst on holiday I spent a couple of hours sat in a field doing just this. These designs and sketches don't go as far as specifying dimensions for every part of a turning.

The pepper grinder that I turned recently needed a lot of planning as it has 7 or 8 pieces that need to be turned in a particular order and must fit together in the end. There's no way I would tackle it without a plan, and my memory is so bad that I need it on paper.

I find it hard to judge shapes whilst they are still on the lathe as they are in a different orientation than they are designed for and there's a lot of distraction in the background. I don't like removing a part turned piece from the lathe/chuck as it's very difficult to return it to the exact same position. I find that sketching before hand helps here.

The only time I tend not to plan shapes is when I'm turning wet logs or branches where I find it more difficult to judge shapes. I'm sure that this is just down to lack of experience as I don't wet turn often.

I tend not to go for particular styles or designs but aim for simple shapes with good ratios. Some of my pieces are purely decorative, some are functional.

I often read though the books I have for inspiration but have never set out to intentionally copy anything I've seen. The books by John Hunnex I find particularly inspirational.

The only work colouring I've tried is charring. I like the effect and will be doing more.

My style of working with pre-planning probably comes from my career as a software engineer.
I'm also quite a perfectionist so I want everything I complete to be as good as I can get it.

Back