Snooker cue project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Everybody!
Like one of the last posters I apologize for digging up an old topic. I have started making a cue and this thread keeps appearing when I Google questions, hopefully this reads well as it’s quite hard to relay my question.
I want to know about the angle of the hand splice, when measuring out my hand splice it “appears” (as I haven’t actually cut and stuck it yet) that the splice detail will be about half the length of the splice timber, I’m making the splice timber about 450-500mm long (from base of cue to start of splice detail). This is if I taper the base of the ash to 1mm at the base of the cue before I actually glue the splice in place. I’ve noticed on a few of your cues at the bottom of the cue you have a decent section of ash left at the end. Do you plane the splice tapers completely straight? Or do you angle them so the splice detail is smaller? Or are my calculations incorrect and will the splice actually be smaller then I’m working it out to be.
Hopefully this makes sense, any queries please ask.

also! whats the best way to finish a cue, oil, oil and wax, or just wax?

Back