snipe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardo16

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon guys.

I need some help with snipe on my jet 310.

I have adjusted the outfeed table and am still getting snipe. This is a relatively new machine but thought it would have been set up prior to me purchasing it.

The outfeed table is at its highest point now, so im assuming its the planer blades being too high?

Any suggestions welcome as i am kinda stuck.

Thanks

I presume this problem is in planer (jointer) mode?

The outfeed table/blade height should be adjusted until the 'drag' test gives no more than 2-3mm drag over the whole table width.

HTH

Bob

is there sufficient outfeed support after the table - e.g a roller stand - a comon cause of snipe is the work piece dropping after it leading edge comes off the outfeed.

as to shop set up - forget it , stuff nearly always needs to be set up, not least because even if it was set right in the warehouse the chances are good that some hairy handed ape will lift it by the table in transit and pipper up the set.

Hi BSM thanks, i know what you mean about shop bought, it wasnt shop bought but second hand. Guess the guy i bought it off didnt have a problem with it.

Bob what do you mean by "drag"? Do you mean if i have a piece of timber and roll it over the blades the blades dont move more than 2-3 mm after the length of timber has gone over the blades?

And yes it is only in jointer mode.

If the above should i move the blades as the outfeed table is at its highest position.

Beardo16":qo3031q5 said:
Bob what do you mean by "drag"? Do you mean if i have a piece of timber and roll it over the blades the blades dont move more than 2-3 mm after the length of timber has gone over the blades?

Sort of the other way round. Drop the infeed table as if you were going to take a heft cut. Move the cutter drum until the blades are not at the top. Lay a small piece of timber on the out feed table with the end over the infeed table. Mark the wood where it crosses the edge of the outfeed table.

Rotate the drum by hand in the cutting direction so that one blade past the highest position. Note how far the wood moves. This should be 2-3mm across the width of the table and all blades.

Hope this makes sense.

Bob

Yes i fully understand that thanks Bob.

If its anymore than 2-3 mm what should i be adjusting to get the 2-3mm required? Change the setting of the blades or would the blades have nothing to do with the setup as long as they are parralel?

Sorry if im wording this wrong im just finding it rather hard to explain.

Beardo16":211kj53k said:
... what do you mean by "drag"?
One method to set the planer knife height is as fol. Get hold of a decent sized piece (say 250x25x25mm) of heavy-ish timber with a flat surface. Mark thin pencil line on an adjacent face and then place the timber on the outfeed table such that the rotating blade will pick up the timber and drag it forwards. If a corresponding pencil line is made on the table, the blade should drag the wood forward around 3mm - Rob

Beardo16":2w13gusp said:
Yes i fully understand that thanks Bob.

If its anymore than 2-3 mm what should i be adjusting to get the 2-3mm required? Change the setting of the blades or would the blades have nothing to do with the setup as long as they are parralel?

Sorry if im wording this wrong im just finding it rather hard to explain.

If you have the table up to the maximum, I'd drop the table just a little and then drop the blades to get the 2-3mm.

That way you will have some fine adjustment left in the table.

Bob

Back