Small workshop vacuum for chip and sanding dust control

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a clone of the Record Power DX1000 ( actually its more like a clone of this Axminster one which is like £100). It is attached to a cyclone which takes the outlet down to 50mm, and the whole setup is enclosed in a small unit in my tiny 6x8' workshop.

It is wired in to come on when power is being drawn from certain outlets (that machines are plugged into). Honestly I could not be happier with it.

It is absolutely excellent and I use it for all of the following really effectively:
- Rotex and ETS sanders (actually the thing to bear in mind with the sanders is they dont like too much suction, so I have to use a small adapter with some relief holes to reduce the extraction power level)
- Track saw
- Band saw
- Table saw
- Router table
- Disc sander
- Mitre saw (my dewalt model does not have the best dust extracting design, I dream of a KS60, but it is 90% effective at removing the dust when I use this. There is a small amount of cleanup at the end of the day needed after using it)
- Planer + Thicknesser (The machine output is a 100mm one, but i had an adapter made to reduce it to 50mm by TheWoodElves ebay shop, and then I use a 50mm hose which I exclusively use for this machine direct to the cyclone from this. I did have some concerns that reducing the outlet size would affect the chip removal significantly, however from using it this has not been the case)

I am sure that you will have read already about the benefits of a cyclone set-up, but I found that even in a very small space it is feasible and it does make a HUGE difference to the general maintenance and emptying of the system.

I don't own a lathe so havent any idea how well it would work with one, but I should imagine with a dust shroud or similar it would be fine - I expect the chip sizes would be similar to the planer or slightly smaller?

I dont have any photos on me of the 50mm hose for the planer but I can get some if needed.
Hi again Sam, you may have seen my latest post, now have a basic extraction system for my small workshop. You advice about Woodelves was very helpful and the company couldn't have been more efficient, answering queries by return and supplying the requires adaptors very quickly. Thanks again for you help.

Hi again Sam, you may have seen my latest post, now have a basic extraction system for my small workshop. You advice about Woodelves was very helpful and the company couldn't have been more efficient, answering queries by return and supplying the requires adaptors very quickly. Thanks again for you help.
No problem at all! I’m glad to hear that your set up is working well!

I was really pleased with the Woodelves company and the custom pieces he made for my tools all fit brilliantly. I felt that it was reasonably priced as well.

Out of question how did you get on with your planer thicknesser?

Mine I’d say collects 90-95% of the chips from it

Have yet to try it in anger but expect it to be OK, certainly much better than with my previous set up with its 30cm tube! Must say I was pleasantly surprised by the lower than expected costs of the adaptors although they were all off the shelf sizes. Interesting to find that they are 3D printed.

Are the Scheppach units available any more. ? I was always impressed at the shows to see the dust swirling around in the bag - something I don't see in other units. More importantly it had a cartridge top and that is essential to keep airborne dust down. I have two units with cartridge tops bought from Axminster one of which is dedicated to the P/T . That was a few years ago but alternatives should be available. ?
I have one of the Aldi Scheppach shop vacs, it was bought for me as a birthday pressie. It's very loud and I really need to look at finding a way of boxing it in to try and reduce the noise.

I just bought an Axminster AC153E 2hp, which was reduced in their clearance rebranding sale.
This is it, and the exact same one is now called "Workshop" previously called 'Craft' but it is an identical extractor.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325285470808?hash=item4bbc866258:g:rUIAAOSwp-1i4nClCurrently on Axminster's ebay clearance outlet for £310, it's normal retail price is £430, so a fair saving all the same.

It certainly has got plenty of oomph. I'm using it for a P/T ,saw etc and eventually as part of an inbuilt 125mm system.- openings are twin 100mm or a single 125mm.
The saving I made on mine went toward the 1 micron fine filter drum.

Do you think the next model down, the AW82E, would be OK for extraction from a Metabo HC260? It is rated at about 75% of the airflow of yours.

Axminster Workshop AW82E Dust Extractor - 230V

Do you think the next model down, the AW82E, would be OK for extraction from a Metabo HC260? It is rated at about 75% of the airflow of yours.

Axminster Workshop AW82E Dust Extractor - 230V
Yes, without a doubt. Last pro workshop i was in we were thicknessing oak at 10" widths(9'lengths) and maybe each of us was doing 6 or 7 boards at a time, and the chippings extractor for that was a small 1hp as the above(its a kind of generic one, same as Jet etc), pretty much the same 1hp one. The only time it clogged was when the bag was full, and i mean really full(we were all lazy as fk :LOL: it was well up to the task

Last edited:
Back