Small workshop fine dust extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have recently moved to a new workshop and bought a double drum sander. I now need to install adequate extraction to ensure a safe working environment. Ulimately I would like a full ducted system connected to maybe half a dozen machines so would like to buy something that will be able to manage that, but which in the short term I can simply connect to the sander so that I can make safe use of it. The sander has two 100mm ports and the workshop is 3m x 10m and any system I install will have to be wholly contained within the workshop. I am on a tight budget but figure I probably need at least 3hp, and can be either 1PH or 3PH. As I have never had to install extraction before I am hoping to get advice on the best option for my budget.

These are what I have been looking at so far, with the axminster really being at the very top end of my budget:

Charnwood 792 £799
Axminster CT-90HCK £999
iTech DC002S fitted with 1 micron filters £707

Sorry, would have posted links to the above but don't have appropriate permissions on this board.

Does anyone have opinions on the above machines, or have any alternative suggestions to make?

thanks, Andy

Back in Canada I had a Craftex 3hp, dual bag chip collector that looked almost exactly like the iTech one. It served me well until I moved to England and had to leave my workshop(s) behind.

In my case, the cfm of air it moved was sufficient to handle the tools that I used and the requirements I had for it. I was able to run the ducting along the floor, so overcoming gravity wasn't a problem (which it can be in the case of overhead ducting). It was connected to a unisaw (tablesaw), jointer, planer, compound sliding mitre saw, various belt and disk sanders, a wood lathe, and a downdraft table. All the machine connections had blast gates that were closed when not in use, and the system worked quite well. I still had a big air filter/cleaner that I always had running when I was in the shop and for an hour or so after I was done for the day, but as a chip collector the 3hp itech-style one did a decent job. Well worth the $375 Canadian it cost me when I bought it new.

Dust/chip collection is a big topic though, and you can go pretty crazy with it. I say dust/chip collection because they are often two different things... chip collection gets most of the woodchips and gross sawdust out of the way, and dust collection and filtering focuses more on dealing with the fine dust that can really mess you up.

There's a good resource on the topic online - Bill Pentz has done a lot of research on it and has a pretty extensive website out there. He sells stuff on the site too though, so while I don't have any connection to him or his site you may want to take that into account. Still, it's got a LOT of useful information, and it might give you some ideas and lead you down some other avenues that you might not have considered - like making your own cyclone system for example. Not sure if I'm allowed to link to that site, but just search for Bill Pentz in google and you'll find it.

The tone of the website can be a little... alarming at times. I would still recommend taking a look though. He has a section on ducting that should give you some thoughts to keep in mind when your laying our your ducting runs for example, and he has his cyclone plans up there as well should you choose to go that way.

Your suggestion of a 3hp extractor with some fine filtration is a good one for most stationary machines unless you have something really big and/or want to operate multiple machines at once. Also, the extractors you have linked to all have two large area pleated filters - good for fine dust extraction without being overly restrictive on flow rate, if kept reasonably clean.

I would avoid the iTECH as its specification says a 300mm diameter impeller, so won't generate very high pressure. For using inertial separation (cyclones) or fine filters, having a bit more suction pressure really helps performance. The Axminster extractor quotes a suction pressure of about 10in H2O, which implies an impeller diameter of around 430mm - this is the sort of size and suction power I would be aiming for. Can't comment on the Charnwood as I couldn't see that information available.

If you want to know why this matters, I wrote a guide which is pinned in the Buying Advice section.

For alternatives, I recall seeing some good write-ups on the Jet cyclone extractors (JCDC), but the 3HP version is over twice the price of the other machines you linked to. I couldn't comment on whether the smaller models would have the required flow rate without knowing what you're planning to connect to.

Hi,

I have just received quotes for DC for my 15ft x 48 ft workshop. I just sat down and laughed at the large fees being required.

I currently run 2x Record DX4000 ( onr at each end) and a small cyclone in the middle but need more suck.

I have been looking at Marius Hornberger's site in which he has built both large and small cyclones as well as a few others. They seem to work well.

I also follow Mattias Wandels site woodgears.ca. He has some odd ideas about small dedicated Dc per machine for smaller machines again all self built.

My views on Axminster/Charnwood etc are very prejudiced due to my engineering background. The relatively small amount of materials and engineering utilised to make these says the price should be considerably lower than it is.

I am always inclined to make my own stuff if I can and if it will last. Worth a thought.

I have the Axminster ST-635 Dual Drum sander and extract it with the Jet DC1100A with filter cartridge. It does the job and has passed it's first years LEV test but I don't think the cartridge will last that long, it might be worth buying the standard version and a quality aftermarket cartridge.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-in ... sel=501121

http://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-dc1100a- ... eal-717141

In retrospec I wish I had spent my money on a spiral cutter planer, but it depends on the work you are doing, I don't think either of these machines are particularly good quality.

Cheers Peter

Thanks for the input everyone, very much appreciated. I think based on the advice given I will go for the Axminster. I take your point beech1948 about the relative value for money of these machines but given that I am not from an engineering background, I think I would spend too much time building my own solution when really I need something now - though definitely worth considering in the future.
thanks, Andrew

Back