Small Workbench WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigus

Established Member
Reaction score
I've finally made a start on the workbench to go in my porch. Thanks for the advice given already in the couple of threads I have started. teeny-tiny-workshop-and-bench-t86110.html

I am basing it on the Paul Sellers bench, one sided with a very narrow well at the back (mainly due to severe lack of space) and much shorter length at 1,000mm.

I'm using 94 x 44mm Wickes PSE redwood for the entire build, mainly because I don't have a bench or the space I didn't want the extra work of preparing rough sawn timber, this way I can cut and glue much sooner in theory. Most of the stuff I got from Wickes was good except the odd couple that were tied in the middle of the pack, which once cut open were horribly warped. Quick return and exchange and all is now good.

I was considering getting an old Record vice, but decided against it after doing a lot of reading and instead went for the Veritas Front Vise. The instructions that come with it make it look hugely complicated, but I don't think it will be that bad.

One question, is it worth putting a bit of Danish oil/BLO on to help protect it a bit? As it is pine I'm thinking it may get smacked around a lot, which I know it is meant to but just wondered if it will help with longevity.

This is pretty much the first thing I am attempting to build except for a couple of plywood boxes, so there will be plenty of shoddy pictures on the way.

Some pics:

This is the space it has to go into: (bikes will be elsewhere!)

3OnzJew.jpg

I3ITGe2.jpg

Top laminated:

Bu3fJkU.jpg

aEhTz6I.jpg

One apron in the clamps:

Ctrwqt3.jpg

Veritas Vice or 'Vise':

3Ls9P9D.jpg

ugU0ZZl.jpg

Nice chunk of Oak to use as Vice jaw:

Gd7HiHV.jpg

It'll be slow progress through the week as I'll only have evenings, tomorrow I will cut and laminate the legs and maybe make a start on the leg assembly.

Thanks for looking.

Must say, that timber looks good for Wickes, must be the smallest workbench on here!
I'll be interested as to how the vice goes together too, keep posting.
Regards Rodders

Craigus":19w7h8ds said:
I've finally made a start on the workbench to go in my porch..........

It'll be slow progress through the week as I'll only have evenings, tomorrow I will cut and laminate the legs and maybe make a start on the leg assembly.

Thanks for looking.

this doesn't sound like slow progress to me!

good to see someone working to the space available rather than just wishing for more space =D>

I'm planning on making a small workbench as well, about 1100mm x 400mm, so thanks for this thread.

In such a small area do you think the vice will get in your way when your not using it? I'd imagine me bumping it with my arm a fair bit. Of course you might not be as clumsy as me :)

No skills":3pxkrbqy said:
In such a small area do you think the vice will get in your way when your not using it? I'd imagine me bumping it with my arm a fair bit. Of course you might not be as clumsy as me :)

I have thought about that, and I'm still not entirely sure where I will mount it, conventional wisdom says on the left as I am right handed, but that will be too close to the wall. So I'm thinking it will be in the middle of the bench. This does drastically reduce my space for maneuvering around it.

I really feel like I need one though. Due to the size of the space, I'm not going to be making any bed's or large cabinets, more small and fiddly things that will likely need a vice.

All my evenings have been taken up this week, but should make some progress on it over the weekend.

Just a thought, When the bench is finished,and before fitting the vice you have.
You could always fit a smaller wood or metal version to a thick piece of ply and clamp that to the bench top when needed.
Or incorporate 4" of the outer bench top to slide, in and out as a workmate top does, and use that to clamp.
Regards Rodders

I built a softwood bench. I used a sheet of hardboard on the top nailed in with panel pins. The idea was that I could wipe it clean easily and replace it if it got too bashed. Nice idea, instead I just piled it high with tools and half finished projects which seem to protect the surface quite well. :wink:

Been doing bits on this as and when I could, I was hoping to get more pictures along the way but unfortunately I didn't have time doing a lot of it.

Took some this evening though, sorry for the poor quality, lighting isn't great in there.

OA50wnT.jpg

One already assembled, not glued up yet though.

nCFw6I7.jpg

Fit isn't too bad for a first attempt.

SDA4BaP.jpg

A bit rough.

ZSZpmz9.jpg

4CFl7CY.jpg

I knocked through the mortises for 2 of the legs this evening and only had time to cut one tenon, but I was so chuffed, it fit like a dream. It may not look great, but I was proud.

p94n2YN.jpg

IgqoebV.jpg

Quite a tight fit.

GvUg566.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Nice job, must be difficult, making a bench, without a bench.
At least, by the looks of it, you have remembered woodwork lessons from school.
As you say, good couple of joints already also I see the tools hanging up!
Keep posting, regards Rodders

Sorry I haven't done more WIP pics, when I got going on it over the weekend I just wanted to get it assembled.

mFXDo3W.jpg

Just to show why the bench is so small:

97eW7bZ.jpg

yjGLEZL.jpg

9zDp6D5.jpg

Jn58aRp.jpg

Now all that's left is to glue/fix down the top, I'm going to slot a rip of ply in the 15mm gap at the back as a stop and gap for chisels etc.
Then fix the vice and maybe put a layer or two of something on the top to help protect it.

Excellent job you've done there, it looks like you have done this before.
Will the vice go on the end (last pic, by the yellow light)? You'll be able to use the full length in that case.
Shelf all stocked up, and ready to go!
Sorry we missed the wip's but as you say we have to crack on, sometimes.
Regards Rodders

Back