Small Wooden Mallet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a small wooden mallet to use on small chisels. A mallet with a hardwood head. I currently have a mallet--12 1/4" length which is to big for for small work. Can you recommend anything shorter?

Could you have a go at making your own custom sized mallet yourself,not really hard to make one and you get exactly the size/shape and weight to suit your needs :)

Good advice above. I really cant see why any woodworker needs to buy a mallet. Fair enough when you are first starting out and I admit I bought one to start with. After a few years I was finding it a bit limiting but really not much else I could buy so just made one. After the first one then you get to thinking one does not cover all tasks so its a mallet for this and a mallet for that and then a plane setting hammer and the list goes on. Plenty youtube stuff on making them but the basic traditional tapered handle mallet is a good place to start.
How to make a Joiners Mallet (part 1) | Paul Sellers - YouTube
Regards
John

Google "round beech mallet" there are 100s of them. From £10 upwards.
Make your own is a good idea but not if you don't have a lump of beech lying around. Then it's cheaper to buy one.

I made one based on rex krugers youtube vid, a big heavy head, more angle than normal and a short handle, meaning that all the movement is from the wrist

It's easier with a lathe.
IMG0037A.jpg

A small lump of hardwood and a off cut of broom handle and you good to go.

I must have a go at making one sometime!

I have a medium sized one and a heavy one for mortices.

After sorting out my camping gear a couple of years ago I put a rubber headed awning peg mallet to one side. I'm surprised how many times I've picked it up as the correct tool for the job.

Colin

using a knotty piece of hardwood is a smashing idea, it tends to be harder.

I turned one a few weeks ago from a log in my firewood store. took. 5 mins and cost £0. It’s pretty terrible looking ,but works nicely. I will make a nice one out of boxwood shortly.

View attachment 153450
Have a done a few similar myself - with a bit more finish though!
One piece turned mallet doesn't need a separate handle, which reduces the work by 90%.
I've given some away to camping friends as they are handy for tent pegs.

When you need to make sharp precision cuts with carving tools not designed to be hit with a mallet I have found a palm mallet is the best tool my favourite is made of African ebony it just fits in the palm of your hand gives enough force to make a cut and has never damaged a tool handle yet the top has a small groove for your index finger to rest in

Attachments

• IMG_20230307_124650.jpg
    IMG_20230307_124650.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Back