Small Router Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Holtom

Reaction score
I plan to build a small router table to assist in the making of jewelry boxes and similar small items. I am thinking of making the top out of a piece of 40mm kitchen worktop which is 600m deep and will probably go for 600mm wide. Is the use of a table insert essential as I really need to keep the cost to a minimum, I am not total sure as to the reason for having one perhaps someone could explain. Sorry if this seams a rather stupid question but I am fairly new to woodwork and very keen to learn.

Hello Paul, There is no reason you shouldn't use worktop for the router table top, I have with mine. I would recommend using some form of insert though as the worktop is too thick to take the router and give enough plunge for the cutter. I used a piece of laminated board for mine of the Phenolic plate type but you could use anything sturdy enough. Hope this helps. :wink:

You need something relatively thin to mount the router too otherwise you loose plunge depth, eg if you mounted the router to the underside of a 40mm top not many cutters would protrude through the top.

It would not be too hard to make a plate from say 5mm alloy or brass sheet, depends on what your metal worhing skills are like.

Jason

Hi Paul,

I wouldn't normally recommend a commercially-made router table, but if you want to make only small items on it and you are using a 1/4" router with the standard Elu/Trend/DeWalt base, you might want to consider one of these

e9199a1a.jpg

It was originally made by Elu for their MOF96 router. I've had mine since the 1970s and it's a cracking piece of kit. It comes with a few more bits and bobs than you can see in the photo. I think it's still made and sold by DeWalt under their brand name (they bought up Elu). It would save you a lot of faffing about making one.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hello Paul.
I used kitchen worktop for my router table.
The first one i made to take my B&D router i rebated the underside to the dia of the router plate,so i left about 6mm thickness of top.
Then just made the hole big enough to take the cutters i was using at the time
This worked fine while i was using small cutters,but have now moved on to an insert with removeable rings now i am using bigger cutters.
HTH.
Paul.J.

Back