Small Precision Screwdrivers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to find a good set of small precision pozidriv screwdrivers for very small screws--screws approx. 1/2" in length. or so. I bought a set many years ago but now the heads of the screwdrivers have seen better days. Time to replace. The screws that are used have different size heads. Any info. of where to obtain much appreciated.

I am trying to find a good set of small precision pozidriv screwdrivers for very small screws--screws approx. 1/2" in length. or so. I bought a set many years ago but now the heads of the screwdrivers have seen better days. Time to replace. The screws that are used have different size heads. Any info. of where to obtain much appreciated.
Try searching for precision screwdrivers sometimes called jewellers or watchmakers screwdrivers

In my book there are two sets that may fit the bill, I'll define the meaning so we are clear on my usage. Jewellers screwdriver sets cover the range perhaps 1-3mm slotted and PH00-1 Phillips. Available for cheap but you take your chances, if you want known quality you are spending £50-150. Watchmakers drivers are 1.5mm down and always spendy.

I'll put the watchmakers drivers to one side since I'm still using a CK set older than I am that I "inherited". The traditional style of jewellers drivers are becoming problematic, at least at the cheap end, none of them seem to embed the blade more than about 1/4” into the handle so it's too easy for the to detach under any torque.

However there is a mini style of interchangeable bit driver, similar to 1/4" hex drive bits but scaled down to perhaps 1/8” or the metric equivalent (it may be 2mm thinking about it). Those are widely available for £10 or less and avoid the blade swivelling in the handle thing.

I bought my most recent set for perhaps £3-4 from B&M maybe six months ago, I'm sure I've seen similar in the tool aisle at Asda, but that one in particular had perhaps 40 different bits including oddballs. That goes down to PH000 or maybe even PH0000. I managed to chew up both bit and screw head a few weeks ago abusing a tri wing bit for a kind of triangular Allen head. Wasn't fussed, it got the job done and I'd have been happy to write off the entire set to get that screw out for the amount I paid.

Wiha picofinish all the way.

But,
Wera's smallest 1/4" hex drive handle can be bought in the kraftform kompact sets with very small ph, flat and torx bits. If you don't need the ergonomics of the wiha drivers, the wera sets are compact and the tiny torx and cross points great for occasionally taking apart a laptop or portable electronics. You get lots of torque on the small bits and won't ever break the handle on these but they aren't slim enough to reach into awkward corners.

Handle size is worth thinking about. It's quite easy to strip small threads or pull a brass insert out of a plastic moulding even if the screw is as big as a ph1 or ph2. I swapped out the batteries in 8 test meters today and noted that the battery compartment doors were all closed with a philips #1 screw, or plastic slots designed for either a stupidly thick flat blade or a coin.
Choose a relatively small handle and it makes it harder to damage these heads by accident.

Mine below are (excellent) Japanese Hero brand ESD in ph 0 and 00, then the Wera 813r handle with a JIS2 bit for scale .

20221231_005414.jpg

Last edited:
+1 for Wera. I've used them all day in the old day job and the tips are still as good as new, didn't slip and the grips are really comfortable.

Hello,
I found the best to be Facom brand from RS Components. Precise strong and very good to use. Depending on how you hold they rotate quickly for quick screwing or unscrewing. I used them for camera repairs where you have many tiny intricate screws. Preciously I had many cheap sets from brands like CK but they bent. Facom are available individually but can be bought in sets. Good for precise work.

398BD008-DA62-48D2-ABB8-B9471465D22E.png

Regards

Last edited:
A +1 for wiha, I have mostly Wera for full size but my small size set is wiha and works really well

Another vote for Wera but the iFixit set is well worth a look and they come with a lifetime warranty

I have both but nearly always grab the iFixit set, unless I needling reach then it's the Wera set to the rescue.

the next size up......
so far managed to get away with the CROSS head screws on Japanese tools/machines so far...
but would like to buy something correct and decent.....
I know their "Phillips" headed screws are something different plus and seemingly quite a few dif sizes to ours in the west.....

took my Hitachi router to bits yest and struggled ......

Japanese cross head is slightly different to the Phillips used in Europe so best to get specific drivers if working on Japanese kit. Pozidrive is different again.

Never mix and match drivers with screw types unless you like drilling out damaged screws, easy to say not so easy to follow, even when you have the correct driver on the bench in front of you. Especially when it comes to Japanese v Phillips as they look to be the same at first glance, Japanese is more of a pronounced cross and Phillips have a slight rounding at the cross junction. Iirc ;)

Japanese cross head is slightly different to the Phillips used in Europe so best to get specific drivers if working on Japanese kit. Pozidrive is different again.

Never mix and match drivers with screw types unless you like drilling out damaged screws, easy to say not so easy to follow, even when you have the correct driver on the bench in front of you. Especially when it comes to Japanese v Phillips as they look to be the same at first glance, Japanese is more of a pronounced cross and Phillips have a slight rounding at the cross junction. Iirc ;)
I think they are called JIS ( Japanese Industry Standard ) screwdrivers looking at the tip on mine the corners are just plain 90 degrees square

Back