small panel saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malky boi

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for a small sliding table saw?
In a previous life I had both the 3.2m Griggio and Altendorf machines. I have
been looking at the likes of the Record power machine at about £1300 but am wondering
about the accuracy and quality. I haven' actually seen one in the flesh yet.
I want it to handle 8' x 4' boards. The machinery in my last workshop was fairly heavy duty 3 ph kit. I am now
semi-retired and want to stay in the woodworking game on a hobby/ semi professional basis.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Using a panel saw to break down full 8' x 4' sheets on your own is hard work, a full sheet of 18mm MDF at over 40kg is a handful for anyone. Unless you're Superman you'll bash the saw around while loading the sheet and, unless the saw's built like a tank, it'll be out of square before you've even begun.

My advice, do the initial cut some other way, then load up part sheets on something like a smaller, well used Hammer. That's the only way you'll get anything remotely approaching Altendorf performance from a £1300 budget, especially as if you're talking sheet goods you might well want a scoring saw as well. Cheaper new saws, with a sliding table and a scoring blade bigging up the spec sheet, will feel like wobbly bits of junk after a 3.2 metre Altendorf.

Good luck!

I have a Hammer k3 winner and it's a real solid piece of kit and very accurate mine only has the 1200mm sliding table so I break sheet goods down with my festool Track saw before moving over to the Hammer, I picked mine up second hand but they don't come up that often. Depending on your budget you could pick up a new one and spec it up to your needs the same model is available with a lager sliding table and out rigger to handle full sheet goods and scoring unit can be addded, they often have offers on higher spec machines if buying new.

The alternative is to buy the sheet goods from somewhere that has a big expensive saw (and the space for it!) that'll work to your cutting list, leaving you with a manageable pile of bits and them with the boring prep work and expense of the saw. Works for me, but obviously does add a small lead-time to jobs.

ODDS in Sittingbourne charge £0.75 for a full length panel cut, you can get an awful lot of cuts for the cost of a full size panel saw.

Mike

Back