Small maple and walnut table - LYN - WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CroppyBoy1798

Established Member
Reaction score
Say hello to LYN, a small maple and walnut table, th name, well thats of my choosing, I'll show you why at a later date, the design, well is not mine, its one of Rod Wales from a book I bought a few years back.

Anyway, as per usual I start making this, had the best intention of taking pics, but I sorta got sidetracked, I did manage to get a couple on the phone, so, excuse the quality of some.

Photo0544.jpg

The table is rather slim and dainty. It stands just short of 700mm and has one rather slim drawer. The legs and drawer face are of ABW and the top, the drawer sides are back are solid maple and the top and shelves will be veneered with birdseye maple and have a maple lipping. The top is raised off the legs via copper studs. The lower shelf is supported off copper and stainless steel bars, the handle is also made of copper and stainless steel.

Perhaps one/some of you can help me with this. The directions state that the top should be of 15mm MDF with a 16mm wide maple lipping. The same with the lower shelves, 9mm MDF with 10mm lippings, however I doesnt explain why. I just assumed that you put a heavier base of adhesive on the MDF section and a thin coating around the lippings? Hence the .5mm gap. Or, am I missing something?

Anyway, the top, shelves and pieces for the drawer.
Photo0545.jpg

Photo0546.jpg

I chopped the legs out roughly to size, just as well because they turned into banana's when cut, so, pulled out the plane and got them down to size. They taper from 32mm to 15mm. The mitres were secured with 10mm ash lose tenons simply cut on the router table and squared off by hand.

Photo0538.jpg

Photo0535.jpg

Photo0540.jpg

Photo0542.jpg

And the work goes on, gonna have to track down some birds eye maple veneer and some copper bar. I know I'm copying this project word for word, but I figured I'd have to make something as I was lacking in the creative juices :lol:

Back