Small hollowing tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodpig

Established Member
Reaction score
Have any of you seen a tool like the bottom one in this set. Shaft size is about 6mm or 1/4".

http://www.axminster.co.uk/henry-taylor ... ols-510175

I'm not interested in buying the complete set I only want the bottom one and it doesn't seem to be available on its own. I could make one from silver steel but would prefer a ready made HSS tool if possible. TIA.

Yes, I've seen those but they're not quite the same. I really liked the Henry Taylor one I was shown yesterday but as I say I don't want the whole set!

woodpig , have you actually used a 90 deg, bent gouge? not the easiest to use because of the offset and natural tendency to twist, make sure any you find has a robust handle that gives good grip against twisting.

If you can get a swan neck that will clear your access it is much easier to control.

I happened to meet a turner yesterday at his outlet and was admiring his work. One small piece in particular caught my eye and I asked him what tool he used to hollow it out as it looked a bit tricky. He assured me it was not difficult at all with the Henry Taylor tool he showed me.

I have thought of the Hex wrench Naz but they don't have a particularly tight bend in them.

If I can't find anything suitable then I'll put a bend in some silver steel rod and harden the tip.

In the meantime if anyone else finds anything let me know.

You could do worse than a metal turning boring/undercut tool or even an internal threading tool in either HSS or carbide fitted to a suitable long stem and handle.

Selected from a cheap mini metal lathe set you could have a whole range of interchangeable heads.

I think I'll have to make my own from silver steel and see how long the edge lasts.

I made my own one of these today.

11017.jpg

I'm now wondering if I'm brave enough to try and put a bend in the end of it!?

Attachments

• hollowing.jpg
    hollowing.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,497
The thing I don't understand with these 'captive tool' hollowing wotsits.

If you do get a catch, what breaks? I'd guess the wood, but that's unlikely with a non-captive hollower.

Some of these systems seem like they might put a lot of unnecessary stresses on castings?

I don't really know what I'm trying to say, just thinking aloud.

NazNomad":3vmakcgx said:
......If you do get a catch, what breaks? .....

A properly set up captive system tool should not get a catch, a catch is down to incorrect bevel contact not supporting the cutting edge and the operator not being able to react quick enough to prevent the tool twisting in their grip and diving further into the wood.

With a captive tool, like in metal turning, the tool is not reliant on the substrate for primary support and operators secondary control, it should always be in optimum presentation and unable to twist under load.
It is always subject to the operator judging a sensible cut rate/depth but there should be warning grumblings or chatter before things get out of hand.

Hi Woodpig,
The Stott miniatures are only 1/4" round tools and so you could try bending another 1/4" round HSS tool such as the negative rake coving tool...
http://www.axminster.co.uk/henry-taylor-negative-rake-cove-tool-952458

I think you might need to heat to cherry red and bend it an inch or so back from the end to get enough leverage but there's no complex geometry involved just one bend and then it'd be a simple regrind. I don't think it'll ruin the HSS temper. See http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=turning&file=articles_624.shtml

As Chas says there'll be quite a big moment on the tool so you might want to epoxy the steel into the handle to make sure it doesn't rotate in-use.
HTH
Jon

Hello again Woodpig.
Just checked out your posts. (a good knowledge source I thought...correctly too!)
For a small offset tool I bought this-http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hss-imperial-metric-external-internal-threading-tools-ax932145
The imperial version is dead cheap and good quality.
Bob

Back